The Best Vegan Candy for an Ooky Spooky Halloween

Hey guys! It’s your local vegan here. Before deciding to go vegan, one of my biggest hesitations was, “Well, I won’t be able to eat everything I like once I go vegan!” This is only partly true. I’ve found a lot of alternatives that are just as tasty, but I do occasionally miss the good ol’ Chili’s molten lava cake. One of the hardest foods to veganize is candy and you can’t have a bomb Halloween without loads of it. Lucky for you, I’ve created a list with some of my favorite vegan sweets!

1. Swedish Fish/Scandinavian Swimmers

I know, right? Who knew you could have gummy candy without that awful gelatin! Swedish fish have zero animal products in them and are super duper yummy. I would always grab this treat before catching a movie even before I went veggie. Now I know that Swedish Fish are superior, but if you live near a Trader Joe’s, let me introduce you to this life-changing alternative to Swedish Fish: Scandinavian Swimmers. If you can believe it, these are even better than Swedish Fish. They have more flavors and have a lot of different fun shapes like lobsters and dolphins. Definitely put these on your list!

2. Skittles

This is a top tier candy already, and it’s vegan? Who knew! And get this: ALL varieties are vegan! If you want original, sour, wild berry, brightside, sweet and sour, tropical, darkside or sweet heat, you can find that all of them have the vegan stamp of approval. Keep in mind that these treats do contain palm oil, so beware! While palm oil is vegan friendly, it’s very harmful to our environment. With that in mind, you can still eat Skittles, but maybe not all the time. The Earth is our friend and we must treat her with respect!

Rainbow skittles in a row
Photo by Hello I\'m Nik from Unsplash

3. Sour Patch Kids

Yes, the God-Tier candy we loved as kids (and now, don’t lie!) is vegan-friendly. Unlike Skittles, though, not all flavors are veggie approved. Sour Patch Kids Extreme and Sour Patch Kids Exploderz are not vegan due to the lactic acid found in the ingredients. All other flavors are fair game! Though they do not have the dreaded gelatin, keep in mind that they do have other ingredients that you may not want to consume, like various artificial dyes

4. Trader Joe’s Organic Almond Beverage Chocolate Bar

I saved the best for last! Not the cutest name for a good vegan chocolate bar, but we’ll take what we can get. I tried this chocolate bar recently and let me tell you, the game has changed. This is the best vegan chocolate I have ever tried in my life. It has all of the best flavors of milk chocolate without the (cow) milk! You can eat the bar by itself or you could make some awesome treats with some other ingredients. I grabbed some Trader Joe’s Cinnamon Grahams and some Dandies Vegan Marshmallows and made a vegan s’more. The possibilities are endless with this life-changing chocolate bar. 

Now, there are some other awesome treats that are vegan, but I wanted to give you all the best of the best to have an awesome (socially distanced) Halloween. Be safe and healthy and have a happy Halloween with your newfound vegan treats!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube and Pinterest!​

Writer for HerCampus FSU. Senior majoring in English Literature and Theatre with a focus in stage management.
Her Campus at Florida State University.