The Best Places To Eat Around Campus

During my time at Florida State University, there is one thing I’ve spent more time doing than anything else — eating. Whether it’s catching a bite with friends or attempting to make a meal in my barely livable dorm room, food has been a huge part of my student experience. Like most people, I enjoy a fresh, well-prepared meal. This isn’t something I can achieve in my dorm or in the dining hall (sorry Suwannee), but over the past year I’ve gathered a list of places to eat on and off campus that are well worth the money.

Little masa

Little Masa is my absolute favorite place to eat in College Town. The first thing I told my friends I wanted to do when I got back to town was eat at Little Masa. My personal favorite is their sushi. They don’t skimp on the filling or the rice, and one roll is usually enough to fill me up. However, their menu expands far beyond sushi. While the menu is far too extensive to list fully, I can assure you that if you’re a fan of Asian food, it has something on it you’ll enjoy.

Tally Mac Shack

One of my favorite restaurants in Tallahassee lies inside of our very own 1851. Tally Mac Shack has hands down some of the best mac and cheese I’ve ever had. Creamy and delicious, it has never once let me down. It has something for everybody. I am a self-proclaimed picky eater, so the basic menu items are definitely a hit with me. However, if you have some more adventurous taste buds, be sure to try the spicy and meaty dishes that they offer.

D.P. Dough

A college campus staple throughout the United States, D.P. Dough knows exactly what it’s doing. It’s home to great calzones and even better garlic bread. Right outside of Potbelly’s, Tallahassee’s D.P. Dough is the perfect late-night meal after a night of dancing. However, there have also been several late-night study sessions where I have been absolutely revived by a D.P. Dough calzone. Anytime I’m craving late-night Italian food, D.P. Dough is my absolute go-to.

Relish

When I first learned about Relish, it was described to me as “Subway but for burgers.” This description is 100 percent accurate. Relish is a picky eater’s heaven, but they have plenty of options for those who want to spice it up. As someone who is constantly adjusting the burgers on the menu at restaurants, I was so excited to learn there was somewhere I could just build my own. Not only is it incredibly convenient, but it’s also delicious. There are good burgers, fries, and my personal favorite: great ranch dressing.

Little Italy

This one is a bit farther from campus, but it is totally worth it. My friends and I stumbled upon Little Italy by mistake one day after being told Olive Garden had a 45-minute wait. We went about three minutes down the road and found a hole-in-the-wall Italian restaurant that absolutely won our hearts. I personally love Italian food, and Little Italy has just about every Italian dish you can think of. From an appetizer of olive oil dip and calamari to the main course of tortellini, Little Italy blows Olive Garden out of the water.

This is not an exhaustive list of all the amazing places to eat in Tallahassee, but it’s a start if you’re looking to get some good food around the city. For more suggestions, I recommend checking out the Tallahassee Foodies Facebook group. I hope you’re able to check out a couple of these restaurants and get away from dining hall food or ramen for at least one meal.

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and Pinterest!

I'm from Minnesota, and am a Sophomore Editing Writing and Media major at FSU.