Amanda Edelman: Creative Writing Cutie

Name: Amanda Edelman

Year: Junior

Age: 20

Major: English with a focus in Creative Writing

Hometown: Weston, FL

Relationship Status: In a committed relationship… I’m taken by the world. I fall in love every day.

Courtesy: Amanda Edelman

Her Campus (HC): Why did you decide to attend FSU? 

Amanda Edelman (AE): I decided to attend FSU because it has a phenomenal creative writing program and upon touring the campus, I found that I loved the architecture and feel of everyone here. 

HC: What extra curricular activities are you involved in?

AE: I’m involved in the most hours I can spend sleeping daily. Kidding. I am a writer for Diverse World Fashion magazine. I’m also a stagnant participant in this thing called attending classes and maintaining a healthy mental stability amongst myself and dedicating myself to friends and family.

HC: How do you typically spend your days? 

AE: It depends on the day. I spend a substantial amount of time either meeting my roommate, Amanda, at the library, which we shorten to Libs or catching up on Taylor Swift’s whereabouts via Tumblr. I usually call my mom throughout the day to tell her riveting things like, “Mom! A guy just looked at me!” Or, “I just stepped in poop. I don’t know if it’s from a dog?” Because I live near Pots, and you know, life can get crazy — especially there. I also spend time snuggling with my babes for roommates, Ceci and Amanda. If I’m not hanging at Bryan Hall with Sydney, I’m usually perched on our apartment couch, watching Law and Order and doing any required work due the next day.

HC: What the biggest challenge you have ever faced at FSU?

AE: Math. Ugh. 

HC: What are your plans upon graduation?

AE: Once I arrive upon graduation (which, oh my gosh, let’s not think about) — I plan to hopefully go on to graduate school and study writing. Or travel the world. But probably graduate school because I love learning and never want to stop. 

HC: What is your dream career?

AE: In all honesty, I want to write. That’s it. 

HC: Do you have a quote that inspires you? 

AE: There are so many. I have a folder on my phone dedicated to quotes. “Hang on. It gets easier, then it gets okay, and then it feels like freedom.” 

HC: Do you have a favorite book?

AE: I can’t choose. How can I? Just, words! Favorite book: my go-to is Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, but I absolutely adore I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson. Oh, also, I’m reading a book called Untwined by Edwidge Danticat. I’m only one chapter in, but it’s wonderful.

HC: What is your favorite food?

AE:  I love coffee ice cream. But that’s not really a “food” food. I eat a lot of pasta. My roommate, Amanda, frequently makes me pasta. My other roommate, Ceci, makes delicious red pepper stuffed quinoa. I quite enjoy that.

HC: Where is your favorite place to eat in Tallahassee?

AE: Bada Bean! Oh, the garden skillet has my ever loving heart. On weekends, you can usually find me there ordering ten pumpkin cookies whilst our favorite waiter, Holden, laughs at our antics! Shout out to Bada Bean! Yum, for real. The coffee! The kind people! The fact that they don’t kick us out even if we sit there for hours. Fave!

HC: How is life as a vegetarian? 

AE: It’s rockin’. I feel good being a vegetarian. One of my roommates, Ceci, became a vegetarian over the summer so it’s nice to have a partner whenever we go out to eat. Life as a vegetarian is not as hard as people like to paint it as. I just eat what I want.

Courtesy: Amanda Edelman

HC: Describe your dream boy.

AE: Chris Evans. I just watched an interview of him on Jimmy Kimmel. No, I mean, you know, boys are tricky. It’s hard to try to describe a dream boy because you never know where your heart is going to land. My dream boy? I don’t know. I should be thinking about it more, maybe. Is the dreaded age of weddings and paring off’s among us? That scares me. I don’t even want to think about it. If boys want to date me, they should definitely let me know because as of right now, I’m unaware of their interest. Hit me up. Well, don’t. I’ll probably block you. 

HC: Lastly, what would you consider to be your spirit animal?

AE: I like beluga whales. They’re calming. I just thought of that on the spot. A+ for effort, B- for execution. 

Senior at the beautiful Florida State University. Creative writing major, entrepreneurship minor. Health enthusiast. Rap music aficionado. Find me (on my cheat days) at Yogurt Mountain rapping Migos.
Her Campus at Florida State University.