Alyssa Velazquez: Dancing Queen

Name: Alyssa Velazquez

Hometown: Miami, Florida

Year: Sophomore

Age: 19

Major: Dance

Relationship Status: Sorry boys, she’s taken!

Her Campus (HC): How did you get started as a dancer?

Alyssa Velazquez (AV): I think I started when I was three. I’m pretty sure my parents put me in dance because I was pigeon-toed. In order to fix that, I had to wear orthopedic shoes and the doctor suggested putting me in dance because dancers’ feet have to be turned out. Funny enough, I cried my first class and I didn’t want to go back. My parents also thought I had ADD, so it was a mixture of giving me a reason to move and a way to fix my feet.

HC: So what made you want to pursue a dance career?

AV: That’s a very good question. Well let’s see if I can put this into words. So, there’s something very interesting or unique about practicing something for a week or a whole year and then performing it in front of an audience. It’s kind of a way to give back and I’ve always had this image of a little girl coming to watch my performance and being so inspired by it that she begs her mom to put her into dance. Dancing is also the best way I can express myself as an individual. So it’s a way to give back but also a way to express who I am as an artist, dancer, and person. I’m most me when I’m dancing.

HC: What do you plan to do with a degree in dance?

AV: I plan to use it to become a professional dancer. Basically, getting a degree in dance further facilitates my dance training. It also helps with exposure to other dance styles, approaches and ideas. Plus, in this day and age you have to get a degree of some sort.

HC: Dancing as a career is a very risky goal, so do you have a backup plan?

AV: Yes, I plan—fingers crossed—to become certified in yoga or Pilates. I also want to use my dance training to teach, particularly young kids. Eventually I want to go into physical therapy and get a degree in that as well.

HC: And besides dancing, which I know you live and breathe, what other activities do you enjoy?

AV: I don’t really have time to enjoy anything else; dance takes up so much of my time. I do enjoy taking yoga and Pilates classes. I like watching sports, but I don’t think I’m coordinated enough to be involved in any. And I’m an avid Netflix binge watcher—for movies, not TV shows. TV shows take too long to watch.

HC: What’s the biggest challenge you have ever faced at FSU?

AV: I don’t know if this would be my biggest challenge, but one difficult challenge was entering my freshman year as a dance major with a knee injury. It was definitely difficult because everyone was progressing so well in the dance classes and I was in the process of rehabilitating my knee. It worked out in the end, though. It’s also a challenge to have so many rehearsals during the week, but I mean, my schedule probably isn’t as bad as other people’s. It’s definitely difficult to find a balance between your dance academic classes, dance classes, normal FSU academic classes and rehearsals.

HC: What’s the most rewarding experience you have had at FSU?

AV: Being able to work with such talented people. It really inspires you. My classmates are so talented and we all push and help each other. It’s so rewarding to work with such gifted people who’ve become my family. Our school of dance slogan is “do it with love” and we really embody that. It’s also really gratifying to be able to dance on stage.

HC: On a lighter note, what song are you currently obsessed with?

AV: I guess I’m still obsessed with “Rather Be” by Clean Bandit. It’s still my happy song. I always play it.

HC: Since you binge watch Netflix so much, what are your top three movie recommendations?

AV: That’s a tough one. I would have to say: Stuck in Love, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off and 21 and Over.

HC: If you could be any kitchen utensil, which would it be and why?

AV: I’m going to say a spoon so I can easily dig myself out of sticky situations. But it would be a big, strong spoon. Like one of those salad spoons. Yeah, I’d definitely be a strong spoon. 

Her Campus at Florida State University.