Wellness

All About Period Products and How to Decide What’s Best for You

All right everyone, I think we can all agree that Aunt Flo is the WORST. Sadly, she’s been around for a long time and has no plans on going anywhere anytime soon. As a result of this, period products have been changing and evolving for hundreds of years and today there are more options than ever! This can make finding the right product difficult, so I have compiled a list of the most common products to help you find what is right for you. There are many factors to consider when choosing a period product, so I have touched on some of the basics: ease of use, affordability, the amount of time you can wear it and sustainability.

Starting off with our single-use, disposable options we have pads, tampons and menstrual discs.

Pads

Pads, along with tampons, are one of the most commonly used period products. They’re a great product for those who are new to having a period but they’re just as awesome for those who have been getting a period for years. Pads are usually made of a blend of cotton and rayon and use an adhesive to stick to underwear, making them easy to change with little to no hassle. They should be changed every 3-4 hours to prevent bacteria growth. Since pads are single-use, they are not the most sustainable option and are on the more expensive side because you have to continue to buy them.

Tampons

Another common product, tampons are easy to find and fairly easy to use. They don’t hinder physical activity like pads can (hello swimming!) Tampons, like pads, are also made up of cotton and/or rayon. They are inserted into the vaginal canal which makes them a little trickier to use and adds the risk of Toxic Shock Syndrome. Though it is pretty rare, TSS is still dangerous but can be avoided by changing your tampon frequently and using a lower absorbency. Tampons should be changed every 4-8 hours and since they are a single-use product, you will need to buy them continuously which can be expensive. They are also not very sustainable since again; they are single-use.

Menstrual discs

One of the newest period products, menstrual discs are a small, single-use disc that is made of polymer and plastic and meant to be worn inside the body. The most environmentally friendly of single-use products, menstrual discs are made to be worn for up to twelve hours before being changed. Unlike tampons, which absorb fluids, menstrual discs collect them which makes disposal tricky and potentially messy. Insertion is also tricky and can take a few tries before getting it right. However, even though they can be tricky to use, menstrual discs are the only period product that can be worn during sex making it mess-free.

Next, we have our reusable options: menstrual cups, period underwear and cloth pads.

Menstrual Cups (My personal favorite!)

Menstrual cups are made up of silicone and inserted inside the body for up to twelve hours. They are similar to menstrual discs but, since they are made with silicone instead of polymer and plastic, they are washable and reusable for up to 2-5 years. Insertion and removal cause cups to be tricky to use because they are a little bit stiff when folding and they collect fluids which can lead to a mess. Though they are one of the trickiest products to use, they are also one of the most sustainable and affordable. Prices range from around $10-$50 and since they are only replaced every few years, they create little waste.

Period Underwear

Period underwear, in my opinion, is one of the most revolutionary period products to be invented. It takes the ease of wearing a pad and mixes it with comfy underwear that you don’t have to worry about ruining. Made up of absorbant, leak-resistant materials – period underwear is great for everyone because all you have to do is slip it on and you’re ready to go. Since they are underwear, they are very sustainable and can last 2+ years. The downside is that they’re still only meant to be worn for 8-12 hours, meaning you’ll probably need to pack an extra pair if you’re out and about. Also, they’ll cost you a pretty penny as prices range from $13-$40 for one pair.

Cloth Pads

Cloth pads are a great eco-friendly choice, especially if you’re a crafter. Made of absorbent materials, cloth pads are the most affordable of the reusable products. You can buy a pack of them for $10-$20 or you can easily make your own thanks to the large number of sew and no-sew tutorials online. Just like disposable pads, cloth pads need to be changed every 3-4 hours to prevent bacteria and leaks. After it’s been used, just throw it in the wash and its good as new!

Okay, now I know that was a lot of information so here’s a little breakdown of the best products for each category:

Easiest to Use: Period Underwear

Most Affordable: Cloth Pads

Best for Beginners: Pads, Cloth Pads, or Period Underwear

Most Eco-Friendly: Cloth Pads

Longest Wear Time: Menstrual discs/cup

Hopefully, this has helped demystify the most commonly seen period products and helped show what options are out there for those of us who have to deal with Aunt Flo. I hope you find your best fit and that it helps your cycle become less of an enemy!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Mikayla is a senior at FSU majoring in Political Science with a minor in Communications. She loves chai lattes, reading books, musicals, and waffles. In her free time you can find her curled up in a cozy blanket, napping, or trying to pet an animal (including the ones she shouldn't.)
Her Campus at Florida State University.