From renowned designers like Collina Strada to new discoveries like Bevza, ModePR is the powerhouse behind running the shows. This season, I had the incredible opportunity to intern for ModePR house and it was one of the best experiences of my life. Ever since that acceptance email landed in my inbox in August, I couldn’t believe I was going to NYFW for the first time. When years ago, it seemed like a dream so far from reality. New York Fashion Week is always at the beginning of September so, I missed one week of classes. But to be honest, I wouldn’t trade it for anything. As a PR major, all my professors were really accepting about my situation and although they didn’t count my absence as excused, they were happy I was interning for a PR company.

Courtesy : Valeria Rivadeneira (@valeeriva )

For everyone trying to get into the Fashion PR industry, an opportunity like this is a huge boost for your resume. If you ever have to chance to apply, I totally encourage you to! Here is some advice for your future fashion internship.

1.    Follow the instructions.

If they tell you not to bring a bag, then you don’t bring one. If they tell you to go across the city to get some iPads, then you do it. The first thing you will ever be told as a fashion intern will be, please wear a total black outfit and please do not bring big backpacks. Well, not everyone paid attention to that. On day one, a girl showed up to the Collina Strada show dressed in a pair of jean shorts, a black crop top, and a fuzzy white jacket. Guess what? She was fired within the first couple of minutes. On day three, another girl brought to the LRS show a big backpack with her and although she was not fired, let’s say the bosses were not in a good mood that day.

Courtesy: Giphy

2.    Be practical

Of course, you are thinking about wearing the latest collection of your favorite designer because it’s Fashion Week. Learn how to appreciate the most comfortable sneakers in your closet because you will be standing up to consistently six hours. If you are at the front door checking people in, but they suddenly need more people backstage to help dress up the models and the elevator is not working, going up the stairs six floors is a lot easier with sneakers than with heels. Plus, you won’t need anything else other than your phone to stay in contact, money not to starve yourself during your shift and your MetroCard to return home. Be practical and place those things in a small wallet. The more comfortable you are, the better you will perform.

3.    Keep yourself focused

It’s easy to get overwhelmed and drained after day one so remind yourself this is your first step to climbing your way up in the fashion industry. You should also keep in mind that another rule for NYFW interns is you are not allowed to take pictures of celebrities or VIPs. This might seem a little difficult when you see Kaia Gerber in the runaway of R13’s show or even harder when you see her walking outside the venue and being chased by paparazzi all the way to her limo. Anyways, bear in mind that is already cool enough seeing those celebrities so there is no need to risk your entire internship for one photo. 

Courtesy: Vogue

4.    Solve Problems  

Let’s be honest, your boss doesn’t care about how tired you are, he just cares about the show performing well. Never complain with your supervisor about a task or errand you’re asked to do. If you ever have a problem, be smart and approach your boss with a new idea that will actually fix the issue going on. Hopefully, the show you are working on is well organized and you won’t go through big issues, but you never know if you could be the next hero to save your team from a huge PR disaster. By coming up with problem-solving ideas with a positive attitude, you will paint yourself as a resourceful candidate that will make you stand up from the rest. Every little detail matters in this job.

Courtesy: Giphy

Final Remarks:

• Before that week, I had never worn black seven days in a row. And trust me, I am not planning on doing it any time soon.
  • I met incredible and super talented people from all the states you can think of. Fun fact: only about three interns lived in NYC. So yes, people actually traveled all the way from Chicago, Ohio, California and Florida just for Fashion Week. Yep, they all skipped school and nope, it’s not crazy at all.
  • Every single model was gorgeous and taller than I imagined. So try to imagine a 5.2” girl like me next to a 6” Ukraine model during Bevza’s show (it was kind of funny though).
  • I got to see seven different shows, from seven different designers and in fact each one had its own beauty. I also realized that there is more out there in the world rather than Prada or Valentino. I discovered different young designers with great talent.Like who?
  • Although I have to say it was the most exhausting week of my life, I wouldn’t trade this experience for anything in the world and will never stop being grateful for this chance.Courtesy: Valeria Rivadeneira (@valeeriva )
Peruvian and with 18 years old, she is a junior at Florida State University majoring in Communication and minoring in Recreation and Events. She loves everything related to fashion and photography; and after graduation she aspires to put her skills and attitudes to work at a major fashion publication. Follow her on Instagram @valeeriva.
Her Campus at Florida State University.