rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Drinking Coffee

Coffee is my one and only true love. It’s there for me when I need a boost of energy, when I need to focus and when I need to get things done throughout the day. The fact that drinking coffee can actually be good for you is just a plus. It’s brimming with antioxidants and nutrients that help improve your health, and it’s also great for your brain, your skin and your body. Here are all the reasons why you should be drinking coffee every day (if you aren’t already):

Courtesy: The Huffington Post

1. Smelling coffee could make you less stressed.

Researchers have found that it’s possible to lower your stress levels just by smelling the aroma of coffee. A study performed on rats stressed by sleep deprivation found that those who were exposed to coffee aromas experienced changes in brain proteins tied to that stress. This study does not relate to stress in general – only to stress caused by sleep deprivation – but it’s safe to say that most of us are pretty sleep deprived. We all have to wake up and smell the coffee.

Courtesy: Giphy

2. Coffee is great for your liver (especially if you drink alcohol).

Research has shown those who drink at least one cup of coffee a day are 20 percent less likely to develop liver cirrhosis – an autoimmune disease caused by excessive alcohol consumption that could lead to liver failure and cancer. Studies have also suggested that coffee can help prevent non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). This is good news for all of us!

Courtesy: Raw Story

3. Coffee reduces the chances of getting skin cancer in women.

A study done by Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School followed 112,897 men and women over a 20-year period. The study found that women who drink three or more cups of coffee a day are much less likely to develop skin cancer than those who don’t.

Courtesy: The Huffington Post

4. Coffee could reduce your risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

A study from The American Chemical Society found that people who drink four or more cups of coffee a day reduce their chances of developing type 2 diabetes by 50 percent and with every additional cup, the risk gets lowered by seven percent.

Courtesy: Giphy

5. Drinking coffee could help keep your brain healthier for longer.

Researchers have found that people older than 65 who had higher blood levels of caffeine developed Alzheimer’s disease two to four years later than others with lower levels of caffeine. They believe that coffee consumption can appreciably reduce your risk of Alzheimer’s or delay its onset.

Courtesy: The Huffington Post

6. Coffee can make you feel happier.

The National Institute of Health found that those who drink four or more cups of coffee a day were about ten percent less likely to be depressed than those who had never had coffee. The proposed reason coffee makes you feel good is because of the many antioxidants it contains.

Courtesy: Giphy

7. Coffee may make you more intelligent.

Coffee allows your brain to work in a much more efficient way. When you’re sleep deprived and you take caffeine, almost all of the complex functions associated with intelligence improve, including reaction time, vigilance, attention and logical reasoning.

Courtesy: Giphy

Keep on drinking coffee, Collegiettes!

Anacarla is currently attending her last year at Florida State. Can't live without coffee and her dog. You can follow her on Twitter at @anacarlasanchez
Her Campus at Florida State University.