6 Ways To Make It Feel Like Fall, No Matter the Weather

I absolutely love fall, and even though the official first day of fall isn’t until September 22, once September rolls around I consider it the beginning of fall. I mean, what isn’t there to love? Halloween, pies, leaves changing, sweaters, caramel apples… the list of things that make fall great in my eyes is a long one. Unfortunately, though, I live in Florida and it is hot year-round for the most part. Because of this, I’ve had to find ways to still make it feel like fall, even when it is 90 degrees outside, so buckle up fellow fall-lovers because here are six ways to make it feel like fall no matter what time of year it is.

1. Get some fuzzy socks

Fuzzy socks are my go-to when it comes to fall attire, and Target always has my back when it comes to new pairs. A few of my favorite pairs have come from the dollar section of Target, but they always have some good ones in with the rest of their socks too. I’m not very big on wearing socks, I only wear them when it’s cold out and when I’m prancing around my house in a fun pair while seeing how many times I can reenact that one scene from Risky Business without falling down – that always puts a smile on my face.

2. Bake

Apple Pie Top Down
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

To me, fall means pie—and a lot of it. Whether its apple pie, pumpkin pie, cherry pie, etc., pie is an easy and great dessert (or breakfast, I don’t judge). Pinterest is a really good resource when it comes to pie recipes—whether you want to go all out and make everything completely from scratch, or if you have some help from the Pillsbury doughboy. Either way, your house will smell like Thanksgiving and you’ll have something yummy to eat.

3. Watch fall movies and make chili

Another throwback to my childhood—chili. Growing up, my mom would always make a huge pot of chili when the weather started to cool down and we would eat it until we were tired of it. It’s a very comforting food to me but it’s also extremely versatile. Chili just tastes like a warm hug from grandma, and it is probably one of those things you can’t mess up when cooking it. Grabbing a huge bowl covered in cheese and turning on some fall movies is a great way to really set the mood for fall, even if the forecast disagrees. I’m always a sucker for the Halloweentown movies, especially since they are now on Disney+. However, I also love Hallmark movies even though they are extraordinarily cheesy—just how I like my chili.

4. Buy a new fall candle
Alisa Anton U_Z0X
Alisa Anton / Unsplash

If you’re like me, you probably don’t need to add another candle to your collection. If you’re also like me though, you aren’t going to listen to the voice of reason and instead are going to buy a new candle. My favorite fall candles are Cinnamon Sugar Donut and Leaves from Bath and Body Works. Cinnamon Sugar Donuts smells just like freshly baked cinnamon rolls and is a perfect fall scent, while Leaves is more of a musky, earthy scent that reminds me of the outdoors.

5. Make some hot chocolate or cider

I grew up drinking apple cider, both the powdered kind and the good kind that simmers away from the stove. When I was younger, we used to buy our apple cider from the Amish families who lived a few towns over, and I don’t think any other cider will ever come close to beating how good it was. The good thing about cider is that you can leave it simmering on the stove for a while to keep it warm and your whole house or apartment will smell like cinnamon and apples. If you live in a dorm and don’t have a stove, there are plenty of powder mixes you can buy at the store, as well as jugs that start popping up in stores around this time. If you’re more of a hot chocolate person compared to cider, that’s fine too! My favorite thing is to add cinnamon to my hot chocolate, along with mini marshmallows. It makes me feel like a kid again and I can avoid my homework deadlines for the amount of time it takes me to drink it. Personally, I just like making hot chocolate with the powdered mix you can get at the store, but if you want to be really fancy, it is ten times better when it is made from scratch.

6. Fall décor

Two jack-o-lanterns
Beth Teutschmann

Last, but certainly not least, fall décor. Fall décor is my absolute favorite and that’s probably pretty evident considering that some of mine has become year-round décor. T.J. Maxx, Target, Walmart and the Dollar General are some of the best places to find cute fall décor that won’t cost you an arm and a leg. In my opinion, pillows and blankets are the easiest things to switch out depending on the season, so I have a couple fall/Halloween themed blankets that I start piling on my bed as the seasons change. Little knickknacks are also great—letter boards, small fake trees, pictures, cookie jars, etc. all make it easy to add a touch of fall to your room or home.

Personally, I think I am going to make some hot chocolate and follow my own advice. Hopefully, this list gave you a few ideas to add a touch of fall to your life, whether it is now or in July when you’re dreaming of cooler weather!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Mikayla is a senior at FSU majoring in Political Science with a minor in Communications. She loves chai lattes, reading books, musicals, and waffles. In her free time you can find her curled up in a cozy blanket, napping, or trying to pet an animal (including the ones she shouldn't.)
Her Campus at Florida State University.