Courtesy: Kylie Weaver

During your daily walk to class, you’ve likely noticed that summer hasn’t yet subsided in Tallahassee, even though we’re midway through September. That Florida humidity is brutal and seeing as it’s likely we’ll have more afternoon than evening games this year, it’s important to prep for those long tailgates. The extreme heat–coupled with drinking–really doesn’t bode well for us when Sunday morning rolls around and it’s time to get some work done. To help you out, I have few tips to keep you healthy and hydrated this entire season so you can make it to the game to cheer on our Noles and feel good the next day, too:

Coconut water works wonders

I’m not always a big fan of the taste, but I swear by coconut water. It’s a natural hydration source that comes from young, green coconuts. It’s my favorite and most natural hangover cure and preventer, with almost no sugar and more potassium than four bananas. Use it to blend your morning smoothie, mix it with fruit juice, or drink it straight, just make sure you have some the night before or the morning of a game.

Beer is better

For a long day of drinking, it’s best to choose beer over liquor. Beer is around 90% water, which means it will hydrate you more than any other alcohol. I know the bubbles may cause some bloating, but you’ll thank yourself later when you’re able to enjoy the game without feeling that cheap-liquor hangover.

Pack hand sanitizer

Flu season is right around the corner and tailgates are just another easy way to spread germs (along with sharing drinks–don’t do it), especially if you have to use a bathroom without soap. It’s best to have a backup plan to keep your hands clean. The last thing you want is to be missing classes and games because you’re sick in bed!

Protect your skin

Sun protection is essential all year long in Florida, but it’s even more important on game days when you’re outside for hours. Besides being painful, sunburns leach moisture from your body making you even more dehydrated—the last thing we want. My favorite for alone or under makeup is Tarte’s  BB Tinted Treatment with SPF 30. It’s great for oily skin. Another great drugstore pick is Neutrogena’s Clear Face Lotion with SPF 55.

Eat protein and healthy fats

Finding cheap and nourishing food throughout gameday can be hard. While I definitely recommend grabbing a burger or hot dog at the tailgate later in the day, to stave off hunger initially, eat a healthy meal before you leave. Avoid caffeine or salty foods to prevent dehydration. Your best bets are a combo of protein and heart-healthy fats like toast with peanut butter, eggs with avocado, or whole-grain pasta with ground turkey. And of course, make sure to continuously drink water throughout the day.

Be well, and have a great season, collegiettes!

Her Campus at Florida State University.