5 Places to Visit Outside of Tallahassee this Semester

As football season has come to a close and weekends are not filled with tailgating, it’s hard to adjust to having so much free time and not knowing what to do with it. With Tallahassee being so conveniently located next to 3 different states (Georgia, Alabama and Louisiana), there’s so much exploring that can be done outside of Tallahassee and even outside of Florida. However, with the desire to explore comes the burden of cost, so here are a couple low budget weekend trips that can be made without much planning.

Providence Canyons in Lumpkin, Georgia

Courtesy: Alexis Taylor

About two and a half hours outside of Tallahassee in the middle of absolutely nowhere, is a huge canyon park that costs only five dollars to park for the day. The Providence Canyons have a few different types of trails based around different levels of difficulty. With the shortest trail being three miles long and the longest being seven miles, you’re sure to make a day of taking a trip to this gorgeous state park.

Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta, Georgia

Courtesy: Wikipedia of Georgia Aquarium

Nested in the heart of downtown Atlanta is a giant aquarium that attracts people from all over the world. The Georgia Aquarium is roughly four and a half hours away from Tallahassee and would make a nice addition to a weekend trip in Georgia. With tickets starting at around 30 dollars, the Georgia Aquarium has all different types of underwater life featuring Beluga whales, many different types of sharks and the most well known of their animals: the whale shark. The Georgia Aquarium could take all day to view with all of the different marine life that they have in store to see! 

Exploring the beach in Gulf Shores, Alabama

Courtesy: Wikipedia of Golf Shores

If you’re in need of a beachy getaway but are sick of the major party scene that is Panama City Beach then you might want to check out Gulf Shores, Alabama. Featuring the notorious music festival Hangout Fest, Gulf Shores is a quiet yet lively beach town featuring many different entertainment options from shopping to dining to just relaxing on the beach. Located about three and a half hours outside of Tallahassee, it’s close enough to head down in the early morning and make a day trip out of it.

Checking out the local shops in Thomasville, Georgia

Courtesy: Thomasville WordPress

Located about 45 minutes outside of Tallahassee, visiting Thomasville is a fun day trip that can be planned spontaneously. With much of Thomasville’s attractions being centered on shopping and dining, this may not be the place for those on a budget, but if you’re interested in unique meals and locally owned stores, Thomasville is definitely a place you need to check out! With a southern, old-fashioned, small town feel, a visit to Thomasville is a nice break from the hectic streets of Tallahassee.

If you’re feeling really adventurous a trip to New Orleans, Louisiana will definitely be on your list!

Courtesy: History

Definitely the farthest away from Tallahassee on this list but certainly one of the coolest options, visiting New Orleans for a long weekend trip is a must while being a student at FSU. Located about five and a half hours outside of Tallahassee, New Orleans (NOLA) is one of the hottest attractions for college students to take weekend trips to. Featuring the ever so popular event, Mardi Gras, which is right around the corner on February 9, NOLA is actually so much more than its connotation of active night life. As NOLA is a huge historic city, it’s home to many cool traditions. Hosting two huge music festivals during springtime, Buku Music & Arts Festival and Jazz & Heritage festival, a weekend trip to NOLA would definitely be a cool replacement to a weekend tailgating!

Tallahassee’s location is definitely a major benefit in going to FSU and with such an array of places to visit, the options are endless. You’ll always have a weekend activity to do even when football season is over!

Sophomore computer science major at Florida State University that loves everything fashionable, yoga, food, art, and technology related. Originally from Boca Raton, Florida but currently residing in Tallahassee attending the best school in the nation!
Her Campus at Florida State University.