5 Books You Need to Read This Spring Break

Though spring break typically conjures images of long days drinking by the pool, going crazy on cruise ships or whatever other inebriated shenanigans you may get into with your girlfriends; sometimes you need a day off to relax. Or, perhaps you can’t do it up big time for spring break because you’re spring broke. Maybe you like to put away the textbooks and actually read something interesting every once in a while. In any case, here are five reads for those that need to get away this break.

1. Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult

Courtesy: Goodreads

Personally, I’m a sucker for anything by Jodi Picoult, and this book is no exception. From the author who brought us My Sister’s Keeper, in Small Great Things Jodi Picoult weaves a tale of racial injustice in the twenty-first century. Ruth Jefferson is an African American delivery nurse that is removed from an infant’s case by the parents, who are modern day skinheads. When Ruth fails to intervene when the child suffers from cardiac arrest, she is sued by the parents. A topical book in today’s society, Small Great Things brings up topics like privilege, race, justice and compassion. Though a little heavy, it is a must read.

2. Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

Courtesy: Goodreads

If you’re looking for a book that’s not as weighty and will give you the nostalgia of being a teenager again, Everything, Everything is just what you’re looking for. Yoon tells the story of 17 year old Madeleine, who hasn’t left her sterilized house for as long as she can remember due to an immune disorder. Once the boy next door moves in, however, Madeleine begins to have more and more reason to quite literally get out of her bubble. This book is a quick read, which means you won’t have to wait long for the movie adaptation starring Amandla Stenberg that comes out in May!

3. Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes

Courtesy: Goodreads

Told in two parts, Haynes spins the story of our protagonist, Catherine Bailey both before and after she meets her Prince Charming, Lee. But all is not quite as magical as it seems, and we are quickly enveloped in the abusive relationship between Catherine and Lee, and the aftermath, as Catherine upends her life to escape from her manipulative and controlling ex-boyfriend. The contrast between loving, wide-eyed Catherine, and Catherine who suffers from OCD and PTSD as a result of her abuse, is so stark that it will keep you on the edge of your seat. Catherine begins her recovery and healing process, potentially finding love and moving past her abusive ex, but will she ever be truly free from Lee?

4. You Deserve a Drink: Boozy Misadventures and Tales of Debauchery by Mamrie Hart

Courtesy: Wikipedia

If you’re feeling down that you won’t return to school with a wild spring break story, have no fear, take a page from Mamrie Hart’s book. Known best for her popular YouTube channel You Deserve a Drink, this book of the same name effortlessly carries her raunchy humor onto the page. With stories of bachelorette parties, wild college years and a spring break at a male nudist resort, Hart has no filter and will keep you cry-laughing the whole way through. Each chapter is accompanied by its own themed drink recipe, so make yourself a cocktail and get reading. Fans of celeb memoirs like Amy Poehler, Tina Fey and Mindy Kaling are sure to love this book.

5. Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur

Courtesy: Goodreads

We’ve all seen excerpts from this book of poetry on various social media sites, but if you’re looking for a little self-exploration this spring break, look no further. In this collection, Kaur sings songs of heartbreak, of loss, of abuse and of survival. An intense and empowering read, this set of poetry will have you coming back from spring break feeling renewed and ready to take on the rest of the semester (and the patriarchy).  

A Media and Communications Studies & Spanish double major with an unhealthy love for corgis. 
Her Campus at Florida State University.