4 Ways to Promote Personal and Environmental Health

There seems to be a popular mentality surrounding environmental health: that it’s only for tree-huggers and stoned hippies. Devoting time to keeping yourself healthy is important, but it’s just as important to remember to preserve the planet that we live on. If your body is your temple, why not take care of the land it’s on? Here are some easy, everyday habits that promote personal and environmental health.

Eat organic

Not every meal or food item that you consume needs to be certified, but it certainly helps. GMOs make up a majority of the crops produced in the United States and introduce chemicals into the earth, air and your body. Making the switch will decrease the number of chemical you’re ingesting.

Use natural products

There are a ton of brands that carry great products that are made with natural ingredients and less chemicals. Be sure to read the label on shampoos, conditioners, toothpastes and makeup to avoid carcinogens, sulfates and other nasty substances.

Ditch your car

Cut back on air pollution while getting in your daily steps! Bike or walk to class instead of driving or if you live too far, take the bus or carpool with your roommate. Every little bit helps when cutting back on carbon emissions.

Drink water from a reusable bottle

We all know that staying hydrated is a key factor for getting great skin. Now do more of that but from a reusable water bottle. Recycling your plastic bottles is great (keep it up) but now imagine if you used the same bottle and cut back on plastic consumption. Even better!

Elizabeth Dorwart is Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus FSU. When she's not reading, writing, or editing articles, she enjoys trying new recipes from Pinterest or playing with her cats. Feel free to ask her any Taylor Swift trivia because she probably knows the answer.
Her Campus at Florida State University.