On April 22, 2020, we will see (or rather not see) the next new moon in Taurus! 

New moons are a lot like new beginnings; the previous lunar cycle has come to an end, and with the dark skies, a new calendar is born by morning. Being as we’re all made up of 60% water, it makes perfect sense that, like the tides of the sea, the moon holds great influence over our hearts, bodies and minds. During a new moon, the Universe asks us to quiet our inner dialogue and allow for a period of reflection upon the events of the past 28 days. This moment of slowing down can do wonders for us mentally, emotionally and physically! Perhaps the last month has been difficult – and for most of us right now, it has. The new moon brings the gift of a blank slate for us to start anew. It calls us to release the stress that’s accumulated over the past few weeks and to recharge, aligning ourselves with new intentions. What better way to do that than with some good old TLC for yourself? With that being said, here are some of my personal favorite self-care rituals for harnessing the new moon’s energy!

1. Cleanse your space

sage candles new moon
Photo by Nico on Unsplash

We all have a sacred place. It’s the spot where we retreat to, where we find ourselves lounging in the most. Due to today’s current events, however, this space might no longer be where we just retreat to, but rather where we’re spending every day of our lives. What parts of your space are blocking your energy from flowing? What is making you feel dull or drained? Rid yourself of any clutter that no longer serves you. Wipe away the dust. Light some candles and charge your space with light and intention. If you’re feeling particularly devoted, you can even do a sage smudge to clear out any negative energy clouding your space! It’s important that we keep our sacred spots clean, both physically and energetically, because, as I’ve always said, the state of your bed is the state of your head.

2. Dip into a goddess bath

“Goddess bath” is my personal term for the ultimate self-care bath. You can drop some of your favorite essential oils in the hot water, set out your most beloved crystals, play some calming music, light candles and even add flower petals! The key is to bathe yourself in light and love, to visualize the weight of the last month falling free from your shoulders with the new moon and swirling down the drain, never to be seen again. Feel beautiful in your body – because you are!

3. Journal

scrapbook journaling new moon
Photo by Emma Dau on Unsplash

A timeless treasure for self-care, the new moon is the perfect time to reflect on the feelings and thoughts that have accumulated over the past weeks. As you sit down and delve into your journal, acknowledge every feeling – the good and the bad. Then, when you’re ready, send it love, send it Light, thank the Universe and let it go. This chapter of your life has come to a close and it’s now time to look forward to the new cycle of time. You can even set intentions for what you wish to accomplish or manifest over the next 28 days!

4. Meditate

While a full moon radiates high amounts of energy, the new moon is much softer. You can embody the new moon energy by meditating and taking root wherever you are. Find a comfortable spot in your newly cleansed sacred space, close your eyes and focus on your breath. Visualize all that you wish to manifest in the coming weeks. Truly imagine the feelings and the colors that you associate with that happy state of accomplishment and believe that it’s attainable for you.

While you don’t ever need an excuse to pamper yourself, the new moon on April 22 offers a unique opportunity to tend to our physical and emotional needs while attuning our hearts to lunar energy. I hope your next 28 days are full of joy and laughter and peace. Blessed be!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Sophia is a Sophomore at Florida State University pursuing a degree in Media Communication Studies and a minor in Spanish. Her passions include practicing yoga, baking, listening to Florence + the Machine, and growing her vinyl collection. When she's not writing articles for Her Campus, you can most likely find Sophia at any coffee shop within a five-mile radius of her home. That or in bed watching Gilmore Girls.
Her Campus at Florida State University.