Seeing as we’re already halfway through the summer (can we talk about how we’re ALREADY less than six months away from Christmas?), sometimes we can get a little antsy and ready for change as the year progresses. Some of us like to get a new hairstyle, pick up a new hobby, meet new people, or whatever else it is that brings some spice into our lives. If you’re feeling like you’re in a rut, there’s no better way than to change up the place you spend most of your time in – your bedroom. I’m a huge advocate of good vibes – and I especially like being in areas that makes me feel relaxed, calm, and collected (even though my room can sometimes be a total mess, I still stand by what I say). There’s no better place to have this feeling than in your room. When you get home from a long day at work or school, or you’re feeling completely overwhelmed and stressed out, it’s nice to come home to something that’s exactly the way you want it. Your bedroom is one of the things in your life where you can have total control over what it looks like, anyway.

1.Rearrange your furniture.

I’ve done this too many times to count. I get bored with my room – and voila, I magically become an interior designer. Maybe you’ve recently had a vision about what your bed would look like in that corner, or what your desk would look like against that wall…and I say go for it. Act on your impulses and I have no doubt you’ll be happy with the outcome. You may even score some extra room for (Stepbrothers reference incoming…) activities. If you’re more of planner, grab a piece of paper and map out where you want different things to go so you have a more structured idea when it comes down to moving everything around (don’t hesitate to grab the closest muscled man to help you push and lift the heavy stuff).

2.Get new bedding.

This is the obvious choice. What’s the first thing people notice when they walk into your room? It’s probably not your One Direction poster or shoe rack – it’s your bed (that may or may not be made). Getting new bedding also gives you the opportunity to change the entire color scheme of your room, since it’s the central focus point. Plus, if you find something you really like, maybe making your bed every day will become more of a reality rather than a fantasy. Unfortunately, there isn’t an IKEA in Tallahassee just yet (and if anyone from UrbanTallahassee is reading this, please build one! All the college students who make up the majority of Tally need cheap yet durable furniture), but here are a couple of my favorites that may give you some inspiration:

The Emmie Blom, for the floral lovers ($39.99)

The IKEA PS 2014, cute and colorful (and geometric!) ($49.99)

Target also has some great finds for a price that won’t totally destroy your funds.

3.Add some greenery.

Fun fact of the day: it’s been scientifically proven that flowers are good for our mental health. Whether they’re real or fake, they easily brighten up a room. Best part about this? You can find a ton of fake flowers at Dollar Tree (and they’re literally a dollar, in all different colors!). If you’re in the mood for the real deal, any local supermarket will have you stocked up on your favorite blooms, or you can always make it a date to go on a walk and pick some flowers with your boo. Get some flowers, people. It’s good for you.

4.Everything doesn’t have to be so matchy-matchy.

Seriously.

Look at the fashion world. We see stripes and polka dots together on one outfit, seersucker and some other fancy pattern on another. If we’re willing to be so adventurous with our clothing, why not translate that into your room? Let your creative juices flow and pick out what you really want there. The most important thing is to remember that you are the one who will be spending the most time in your bedroom, so be yourself. Play with different color schemes and patterns and you’ll be surprised at the fact that some things you didn’t think would work out actually look amazing together. Choose what makes you feel good.

Haleigh is a 22 year old college student who is slowly but surely getting closer and closer to graduating from the beautiful Florida State University (in May, to be exact). With a love for puppies that's almost too much to handle at times and a slight obsession with sushi, Haleigh is passionate about all things cute and fun, with a hint of sass. Go Noles!
Lauren Burkett is an alumna of Florida State University, where she studied Editing, Writing and Media.  Since graduating in 2014, she has worked in marketing, as a flight attendant and now works in the oil and gas industry.  She was the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus FSU during her time there, and is ecstatic to continue her involvement with the organization as a Chapter Advisor.  Lauren now lives in Denver, Colorado and enjoys being outside, reading and journaling in her free time.