So, it’s almost that time again. Between finals quickly approaching and holidays following right after that, the days can get very stressful and start to blend together. There are some steps you can take overall to just decompress and, in a way, use these as your escapes.

1. Pace yourself

Don’t just throw yourself into catching up on work, studying or anything like that. You have to pace yourself. Take the time to write out every little thing you need to get accomplished. Then, give yourself time to complete the items and time to rest in between.  When creating your list make sure you mark each thing with a symbol so that you’ll recognize how important it is. Schedule out how you’re going to tackle all your big assignments so that you’re not trying to rush at the last minute and end up turning in sloppy work. Just pacing yourself can save you lots of trouble down the road.

2. Exercise

Now, I’m not saying you have to go out there and physically fight. I’m going to be honest with you though, the best way to decompress and really get all your feelings and emotions out is to just go punch a punching bag.  Even sparring with someone can relieve a lot of stress. It’s the best way to exercise—get your adrenaline pumping, breathe and just let it all out.

3. Pre-Pack 

“Cut her off.” That’s what my family is usually thinking or saying when I show up with my huge overstuffed bag. In order to keep myself from getting disowned and avoid being called the ‘bag lady’ for another year, I have to pre-pack. Pre-packing is a step to take if you tend to under or over pack. For those under packers, it gives you the chance to add anything you might think of the second time around you pack. For those over packers (like myself), it gives you the chance to take out anything that isn’t necessary. For instance, packing four pairs of boots for a three to four day trip is excessive—cut that down before someone cuts you off.

4. Meditate

This is the key to decompressing. All you have to do is just breathe and center yourself. By centering yourself you become one with your emotions, thoughts and what your body is feeling. Being one with yourself and tuning into your body can make you feel ten times better than you think. It’s like afterward a weight is lifted right off of you.

5. Exhale 

Whitley Gilbert does it best. Relax, Relate, Release. Just relax your body. Exhale all of the negativity and stress away. Deep breaths, deep breaths and more deep breaths! If you keep breathing, I promise you’ll get through finals and the holidays. For the holidays you’re really going to need to Relax, Relate, Release. Take a deep breath right before you join your family, and just try to remember they have different beliefs because they grew up in different times. So don’t snap at them, try to understand, and if you can’t do that, then SIP THAT TEA!

6. Reward yourself

Rewarding myself is one of my favorite things to do. If you accomplish something, anything (especially something on your to-do list!), reward yourself. Take yourself on a whole date if that’s what’s going to motivate you more. Do you what you need to do to keep pushing.

7. Hang out with friends

Friends. They’re the secret prize we sometimes forget we hold. For studying, venting or just trying to tackle and get through finals stress, your friends can help. They’re there for you, and believe me, they’re going to need you too. Rely on each other and lean on each other for the support and guidance that you need.

8. Get a massage or manicure

This goes without saying, after that massage or manicure you feel like a million bucks. Let yourself feel like a million bucks during this very stressful peak time of the year so you that can just decompress.

9. Go grab a bite to eat 

Do this with or without your friends. Grab something that you’ve been craving but holding off on getting. You can use this as an incentive for yourself to get what you need to get done.

10. Get some sun

We’re in Florida, after all. Walk outside and get some fresh air and sunshine—you’ll be surprised at the difference that some vitamin D makes.

11. Have a good cry

I’ll admit, I have to do quite often. About once a day, I just go to my room and let it all out. Sometimes you just need a good, long, meaningful cry and you feel so relieved afterward. After that good cry, you feel like you can take on the world. Crying is healthy. Cry if you need to, cry if you want to.  Let the stress, emotions and feelings of being overwhelmed just come out of you.

12. Get lots of rest

Again, with friends or without, give yourself the time to just rest your body. Grab some friends and lay around and talk about any and everything. Your friends are your soundboard when you’ve got something going on or just need to talk. Let them know what you need so they can be there for you. If you’re alone, run a bubble bath or take a hot shower and then rest your body. The best thing after that heat is to just simply sit or lay there and relax with no obligations to fulfill.

13. Go shopping

Even if you don’t even leave your bed for this (that’s when I do my best shopping personally), shopping is one of the best ways to decompress. Getting yourself lost in the magic pit of the shopping world is beautiful.

14. Relax

Girl, stop. Just stop whatever you’re doing. Sit down, lay down and just relax. Not only should you relax your body, but relax your mind as well. Our minds are always active and always thinking about 100 things at once. Give your mind a break and simply relax it. Don’t get wound up in all your thoughts and feelings like you usually do. Stop, take a step back and relax your mind.

15. Admire yourself 

Just don’t go getting a big head on me. You should take the time out of your day every day to just admire who you are. Admire how far you’ve come. Recognize yourself. Cause girl you did that shit. 

All GIFs courtesy of Tenor.

Kamaria is a double major in English Literature & Communications. Kamaria has served two companies with their editing departments for blogging and journalism. She has been published in two literary magazines. When she’s not watching Netflix, traveling, reading, or writing; you can catch her watching and playing sports. Please email any praise, comments, tips, hate, or inquiries to kyi7777@gmail.com
Her Campus at Florida State University.