Valentine’s Day. Many dread this day’s arrival while others start buying their gifts and outfits months in advance. While TV shows and businesses try to build up expectations for a magical night of love, it tends to leave many people feeling disappointed in their love life or plans. However, I am here to offer a solution to those of you who are worried about being sweetheart-less this V-Day. This year be your own Valentine! You deserve a break and to pamper yourself so why rely on someone else to make your day special? Here are a few ways to practice self-love this Valentine’s Day.

Write yourself a love note

The Lalagirl Writing In Notebook
Her Campus Media

Sure, it might sound a little silly. But science shows that it can be very beneficial to your mental health. Behavioral scientist and relationship coach, Clarissa Silva tells Elite Daily that documenting all the things you love about yourself will “help increase your self-esteem and self-worth.”

Cook yourself a meal

You might not be a trained chef but find a recipe that you’ve always wanted to try! Life coach Eric B. McCurdy, MCC tells Elite Daily that food connects to our mind and our mind to our soul.

Write in a journal

Journaling is a great way to relieve stress and help you feel on top of your emotions. Here are a few prompts to write about on this Valentine’s Day if you need inspiration!

Surround yourself with people you love

Self-love doesn’t have to mean be by yourself! Spend time with the people you love most or makes you the happiest! Whether it’s a best friend, family member, spouse, dog or anyone else that will make you feel special and loved!

Watch something good

Take control of the remote this Valentine’s Day! Find a show or movie that will help you relax, laugh or even cry (if you want to get in your feels).

Practice meditation

This can come in many forms. Whether you prefer to sit in the dark and dive into your thoughts, or you are more interested in participating in therapeutic coloring, find your Zen! Here are some free printable Valentine’s coloring pages.

Pamper yourself

woman getting a spa day face mask
Adrian Motroc

You deserve it! Grab a face mask, schedule a massage or just paint your nails a color that will make you feel beautiful!

Start a book

Reading is proven to relieve stress and anxiety. Pick a book that sounds good and get comfy! Cosmopolitan lists some must-read Valentine’s books for adults.

Get your sweat on

Scientists have found that regular participation in aerobic exercise has been shown to decrease overall levels of tension, elevate and stabilize mood, improve sleep and self-esteem. Even five minutes of aerobic exercise can stimulate anti-anxiety effects.

Smile!

Recent studies suggest that holding a smile on one’s face during periods of stress may help the heart and reduce feelings of anxiety. Find a reason so smile this V-Day!

What are you waiting for? Use the day of love to love yourself this year!

Want to see more HCFSU? Be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest!

Just a girl from Gulf Breeze, Florida who loves all things chocolate, rom-coms, and running!
Her Campus at Florida State University.