Are you questioning whether or not you’re a girl boss? Follow these steps:

Step 1: Locate a mirror

Step 2: Look in said mirror

Step 3: Say “Hell yeah!”

Step 4: Repeat steps 1 through 3 at least once daily

If I hadn’t made it clear enough already, I want to assure you that everyone has a little girl boss in them. In fact, you probably have more than you know. Women empowerment has come so far in the past century and we can’t stop now. Why would we want to? And you may be asking, “What exactly is a girl boss?” Urban Dictionary defines the term as “A woman in control, taking charge of her own circumstances in work and life. Someone who knows her worth and won’t accept anything less. She is not a ‘mean girl’ in fact, she hates ‘mean girls.’ She is empowering and inspiring to those around her. She kicks ass!” And I couldn’t have said it better myself. I’d also define the term simply as: you. You’re a girl boss and you need to embrace it. Need a little help? I have the playlist just for you. Pop in some headphones and get ready to take over the world today and every day with the help of some of our favorite girl boss icons.

1. “Man! I Feel Like a Woman!” – Shania Twain

Courtesy: 991

I know I can’t speak for everyone, but I was raised on this anthem. Shania Twain lets us know that she is feeling like a woman, and she’s going to make a top hit about it while she’s at it. And she has us singing right along, embracing every great thing that comes with being a woman. “I want to be free yeah, to feel the way I feel/ Man! I feel like a woman!”

2. “Woman” – Kesha Feat. The Dap-King Horns

Courtesy: YouTube

Kesha has recently been a strong icon for female empowerment and spreading awareness for sexual harassment. Ever since the lawsuit clash with her producer, Dr. Luke, she has grabbed the music industry by the horns and turned a horrific situation into a full-on battle against sexual harassment. She is “a motherf*cking woman” and she isn’t afraid to say it!

3. “No Man Is Big Enough for My Arms” – Ibeyi

Courtesy: Genius

The track starts out with pieces of Michelle Obama’s October 2016 address that occurred at a democratic rally in New Hampshire. Throughout the tune, lines from Michelle Obama are embedded, creating a chilling and meaningful sound. The track sheds light on female empowerment in its strongest form, commenting on our current state as a society: “The measure of any society is how it treats its women and girls/ No man in the world.”

4. “You Don’t Own Me” – Lesley Gore

Courtesy: SheRa Mag

Women aren’t property, simple as that. We get to decide what we want to do, what we want to be, and how we do it. It’s our body, it’s our choices, and ultimately, it’s our life. With the track released in 1963, it is shocking to see that the tune is still, if not more, relevant in this day in age.

5. “No Scrubs” – TLC

Courtesy: 1035bobfm

No scrubs allowed. While on our way to female empowerment, we don’t need sleazy guys holding us back. The math is all there, if you’re a scrub then you “can’t get no love from me.”

6. “Do My Thang” – Miley Cyrus

Courtesy: Genius

Miley has it all figured out. We don’t need anyone telling us what we need or should do. We just have to do our own thing, every single night and every single day, like clockwork.

7. “Love Myself” – Hailee Steinfeld

Courtesy: Genius

A song that praises self-love and female empowerment? Now that’s what I call a dynamic duo. We can’t forget to give ourselves love too! Looking for a woman to empower? Look in the mirror!

8. “Salute” – Little Mix

Courtesy: iTunes

This song calls for women across the world to unite, so that we can represent each other and all that we do. We have to come together to join forces, “Representing all the women, salute, salute.”

9. “Quiet” – MILCK

Courtesy: Genius

This ballad is an unofficial anthem that truly defines what women empowerment is. The track gained popularity after women across the globe sang it at demonstrations, turning it into a viral sensation. The timeless message is still relevant, especially for any woman needing a little extra empowering today.

10. “Run the World (Girls)” – Beyoncé

Courtesy: largeup.com

Who run the world? Girls. Need I say more?

Let your hair down and turn the volume up, embrace the skin that you are in. We are all girl bosses in some way or another and we need to love that part and all parts of ourselves. Support each other and spread the love, we can’t take over the world alone. Girl bosses unite.

Just one eccentric gal trying to use words to tell my story and yours!
Her Campus at Florida State University.