This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

As someone who often wakes up feeling nauseated, I understand the difficulty in completing even simple tasks, like getting ready for school, when you feel like you might need to throw up. Here are some of the tips and tricks I have discovered through my attempts to ease my own nausea:

1. Rest

Maybe this seems obvious, but simply taking some time to rest can be beneficial in alleviating nausea. If you are able to, lay down and take a nap to give yourself some peace from your pain. You will likely wake up feeling refreshed and more ready to conquer the day.

2. Deep Breathing

One of the quickest, easiest ways to relieve nausea is to take some deep breaths. Slow down your breathing and focus on feeling better. Try breathing in through your nose for 4 seconds, holding your breath for 7 seconds, and exhaling out your mouth for 8 seconds. Repeat this a few times. This “4-7-8” technique forces your mind and body to focus on regulating breathing, and is known for helping with anxiety, a common cause of nausea.

3. Drink Water

Sometimes, taking a few small sips of water helps lessen my nausea. Drinking too much water can fill up your stomach and worsen your discomfort, but I have found that sipping water can bring some relief. Try drinking a little cold water if your stomach/head feels a little off.

4. Essential Oils

If you are someone who commonly suffers from nausea, it might be worth it to invest in some essential oils. Peppermint and lemon essential oils are known for helping ease nausea. You can add some to an oil diffuser, put some on a stress-relief bracelet, or simply take a whiff. I have found that this is a good way to temporarily settle your stomach.

5. Pressure Point

This is a trick I recently learned. Humans have a pressure point on the inner wrist, about 2 inches below the palm. Here, you should be able to feel the space in between two tendons. If you press down firmly on this area with your thumb, moving in circular motions, this can help ease nausea. Do this for a couple minutes on each wrist, or until nausea lessens.

6. Hot Shower

If you are feeling up for standing for a little while, a nice hot shower could be what you need to relieve your queasiness. Perhaps after using some of the other tips on this list, try hopping in the shower to revive yourself. The steam from the shower can help clear up any gross feeling you have in your stomach or head.

7. Distractions

If you’ve tried everything you can think of and you still don’t feel well, try to distract yourself from the way you’re feeling. Sometimes, focusing on a simple task, rather than focusing on the nausea itself, can be enough to lessen your pain. Getting your mind off of the discomfort you’re feeling can trick your body into feeling better. Try reading a book, watching a TV show or movie, or doing your makeup next time you’re feeling nauseous.

I hope something on this list is able to help you alleviate nausea and start your day off on the right foot!

Amy Westlund

Framingham '21

Treasurer of Her Campus Framingham, Fashion design major ?