This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

It’s finally here, my last year of school. Well… that is… if I don’t end up going to grad school, but that is a story for another time and place. For now, I am just starting my transition from being an involved full-time student to a hard-working employee. That is what is expected of me after I get handed my diploma next Spring, right? I believe that in my journey in the following months through completing the last of my classes, doing the job search, and making the best of it with the time I have left with my friends at school, that I will find my own path in where I will be after I leave here. Doing all of that on my own time, putting myself first, and pursuing what I want to do is the mindset that I already started to adapt. 

I have been known to be a caring and honest person with my family, friends, peers, and teachers. However, over the past few months, I realized I haven’t really been caring and honest with myself. With the fear of being selfish and always focused on me, I was nervous to give in to spending more time working on my own wellbeing. So, going into my senior year of college, I decided to work on this. 

Something that I recently learned through experiences is that it is okay to make the time to take a break from everything and everyone and take an hour or two to just chill out by myself. It’s a good way to regroup if that is what you want to call it. Typically, I do something that will help improve my health both physically and mentally, like doing a fitness workout, meditating, or attempting yoga. I also know it is important to give my body the energy it needs, whether that is eating a nutritious snack, drinking more water, taking a nap, or even just lying in bed while watching a tv show or movie. After doing some those things, I find myself able to be more productive afterwards and able to get things done on my to-do list. As a disclaimer, I am not an organized person when it comes to my personal life, but I found ways to at least attempt to be, it’s a work in progress. It is a big stress reliever and improves my happiness when I take the time to do the things that make me happy. I can be a better friend, daughter, student, employee, and overall individual. 

Finding my happiness again really helps me to realize all the things I have to be grateful for in my life. I love my friends and family more, I have more fun, and I appreciate what others do for me. 

This semester I am excited about so many new adventures. I live with 3 other girls who I love spending time with and laughing with. I am involved on campus in two ways, I am the Marketing and Publicity coordinator for Her Campus Framingham and I just started as an intern at the Entrepreneur Innovation Center. Both of those roles are new to me and I am eager to gain new experiences in the upcoming weeks. I only have 2 classes and an internship, because I worked my butt off the past few years to make my load lighter this year. Also, my crazy big family is growing. I have two new baby cousins and my boyfriend’s sister welcomed her baby boy this past summer, so that is exciting that I get to watch them grow. I have family visiting all at the same time from California, Hawaii, and South Carolina, so I am thrilled to have fun with them in Boston, Cape Cod, and back in my hometown. 

This is an insight into my journey and what I have been going through starting my senior year in college. Let it be the inspiration to spark an idea that gets you to reflect on your life and what YOU want to do with it. Now that I’ve been there, and things have truly improved for me, I can tell you that is okay to focus on you and make it about you when feel the need for some self-care. I hope you come to really love yourself in your time that you spend finding yourself, no matter what stage of life you’re in. It helped having people believe in me, so let me share some of that by saying I believe in you and thank you for reading my story.

Rachel Davis

Framingham '19

Hi I'm Rachel, a senior at Framingham State University. My major is Communication Arts and I have a minor in Marketing. I am currently seeking to develop a career in the advertising and social media marketing industry. I love going on Pinterest, practicing mindfulness, eating good food, hanging out with friends, doing outdoor activities, going on road trips, traveling to new places, and taking beautiful photos!