Small Ways to Practice Self Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

It doesn’t matter what time of year it is; finals, beginning of the semester, or middle of the summer, everyone gets overwhelmed and experiences self-doubt. So, we need to take a step back and practice self-care. It can be difficult, but even the smallest exercises can go a long way. Now, self-care can be a life long journey and isn’t completed by doing yoga every week (but if that’s how you practice self care, that’s great!), but the following tips are just small, quick ways to get started. Here are some small, simple ways to practice self-care!

Going Outside

You can go for a walk/run or just lay in the grass and watch the sky. No matter what, getting fresh air is important and a good change in setting.

Unplug

Turn off your phone, close your laptop, any technology that could distract you or make you worry should be put away. Out of sight out of mind. Take time for yourself and not worry about what is going on on social media.

Nap

It may not solve everything, but sleep is important. The body and mind need to recharge and taking a quick nap is one way.

Writing

It can be writing a short story or focusing on how you’re feeling and writing it out. No matter what, writing is a great form of self-expression. Another writing exercise that can help is writing down the things you got done in the day/week/month. It can especially help when you have a lot on your plate. This can include small actions, like eating breakfast or showering. It’s a great way to celebrate small victories!

Talking to a Loved One

Call your mom, get lunch with a friend, or even sit down with your sibling. Communication is always key, and letting out how you’re feeling to someone you trust can be a huge weight off of your shoulders. Even if it’s not a serious or heavy talk, socializing can be helpful.

Laugh

I’m no expert, but I always feel better after laughing. Watch your favorite comedy special on Netflix or rewatch Parks and Recreation or Friends (or watch them for the first time!). Get together with your friend who never fails to make you laugh or watch some silly videos online.

Graduate from Framingham State University. Communication Arts major, and Writing minor. Former Co-Campus Correspondent of HC Framingham and current After College writer! I'm passionate about tv shows, comedy, music, and cheese fries and take them all very seriously.