This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

Did you know that Alzheimer’s disease could be prevented, and in some cases, be reversed during the early onset of the disease?

This week I went to a talk presented by Sangeeta Pradhan who is a registered dietitian with over twenty years of experience. The focus of the talk was about how to improve brain function with diet.

Without getting too technical with fancy science words I am going to briefly explain how and what happens to the brain when you eat different types of foods.

In our brain, we have the hippocampus which is a part that controls our learning, mood, and memory. This part of our brain can actually shrink if we have a diet high in fat and sugar. This shrinking of this part of the brain can lead to many things such as depression, learning disorders, and eventually Alzheimer’s. 

Now, I’m not sure about you but that definitely scared me! The good thing is though there are ways we can prevent that from happening. These preventions all start with food. There was a study done that showed if you eat fish once a week there was a 60% decrease risk of getting Alzheimer’s disease. Fish contains omega-3 fatty acids which is a fat that is important for brain and cell health. There are many foods you can intake that will help decrease this risk but just a few to give you an idea are walnuts, chia seeds, cumin, spinach, kale, and oranges. 

The main message from this is nutrition is important for our life’s. It can affect the way we learn, the way we feel, and even diseases we can get. This talk encouraged me to become more aware of what I put into my body and I hope it does for you too!

Brittany Stout

Framingham '20

Health & Wellness Major Passionate about fitness & nutrition Aries