Kyle Collins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

Ever wonder who that guy singing (beautifully) at the top of his lungs and stealing the stage in Hilltop is? More than likely it is Kyle Collins. He is the President of the Hilltop Players and improv master within the Suit Jacket Posse. Any time you need a helping hand; this genuine sweetheart, with a love for musicals and cartoons, will make sure to be there. Go see him this spring in the Hilltop productions of Handyman Bride and Spelling Bee!

Major: Biology

Minors: Theater Performance

Clubs/Jobs: 

President of the Hilltop Players, Suit Jacket Posse, Security Desk Attendant

Hometown: Framingham, MA

You are well-known amongst the Framingham State theater community. What made you begin acting?

“So as a kid I always enjoyed playing pretend and putting on shows for my family and friends. In elementary school, I wanted something that was mine, like music or sports, but I felt as if I didn’t have something like that. In 5th grade, my teacher did a mini performance of A Midsummer Night’s Dream and I loved it. And I auditioned for my first play in 6th grade and have done it ever since. I love it and it makes me happy.”

What do you do besides theater?

“I am a biology student so that takes up a lot of my time. I’m usually studying, doing some kind of homework or in the lab doing something related to my major. This semester I am in microbiology and neurobiology and have to go into the lab on a lot of off hours. I like it though. It makes me feel like a real scientist.”

What would you say is your guilty pleasure?

“I like really shitty TV shows. I’m a very big fan of those cheesy shows like Charmed and Gilmore Girls. I guess TV is my guilty pleasure. More specifically, binge watching.”

Who is your greatest role model?

“I guess I could say my dad. He’s always been this kind of person who tried to keep me open to the world and to new people and being friendly and a good person. He recently celebrated a year of sobriety and it was a hard process but it was inspiring to watch. It shows me no matter what age you are and no matter what you have done in your life you can accomplish what you set out to do.”

What are your plans for after graduation?

“Crying. Crying some more. And maybe looking into jobs. I just applied to a bunch of positions in biology at a university doing research. I would also like to stay with biology but branch out into theater more. Just to refine my training for theater and hoping to a biologist by day and thespian by night. And hopefully grad school is in the future.”

If you could star in any play or musical, what would it be and why?

“I have to say Reefer Madness the Musical. I would want to play the leading role Jimmy Harper who is a good egg who falls in with the wrong crowd in the most satirical of ways. I directed this play my junior year here and I love it so much. I got to put my vision into it and now more than anything I want to play the role of Jimmy.”

How’s the bae (Norman)?

“Norman is good. He is working a part time job but he is a production of Urinetown in Worcester. He is trying to find a full-time job in his area but working hard in both that and theater. He’s doing something at night he really loves besides his day job and I am so happy he has that.”

What is the mark that you hope you have left or plan to leave here at FSU?

“It would have to be in Hilltop. When I came here Hilltop was in what I call the dark times, they were on probation there had been a lot of lack of commitment and I am hoping that in my 5 years here that I have helped Hilltop to grow with all my effort and people I have come across and e-board and I hope they continue to grow and flourish and succeed because I love the group and everyone in it so much and am so thankful for them.”

What is your favorite video game?

“One of my favorite games is Pokémon. My favorite generation that they had was Ruby and Sapphire. They were such an update to Pokémon with graphics and adding in contests and more you could do. Right now I am playing Pokémon Alpha Sapphire and it’s all updated on the 3DS. That’s actually how I spent my spring break.”

One of your favorite shows has to disappear forever. Do you continue to watch Gravity Falls or Steven Universe?

“Steven Universe, no doubt. Gravity falls ended. I have never found a show that I have loved this much. The characters are so fleshed out and have real world flaws that you can connect to. And it is on cartoon network. It is amazing that a kid can watch it and see one thing where an adult can view it and see something completely different.

There are a lot of songs and singing which of course is something that I love. It gives me a sort of pseudo-nostalgia. I had an obsession with birthstones and gemstones as a kid. I was fixated on them. I know if this show had premiered when I was a kid it would have been my life.” 

Marissa is a senior psychology major and photography minor at Framingham State University. She is an Academic Success Peer Tutor, SDA in the dorms. She is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Framingham and a Chapter Advisor. When she is not daydreaming, Marissa enjoys binge-watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Hulu and sleeping.