The Lalastack Of Old Books And Glasses
The Lalastack Of Old Books And Glasses
Her Campus Media
Career

I Have Not Failed, I’ve Just Found 10,000 Ways That Won’t Work

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

“I Have Not Failed.  I’ve Just Found 10,000 Ways That Won’t Work”

Try to guess who said this famous quote.  It is essential, because this quote is the key to success in anything.  I don’t know about you, but I always remember this quote when I want to give up on something.   

This quote applies to everything in life.  It depicts perseverance and strong will.  I’m sure we as Framingham State students are familiar with internship and job applications and what a pain in the neck it is. Ever heard of the phrase “Failure is the Mother of Success?”  

For us rising seniors and juniors, we struggle to find a job or an internship toward the end of our college days. For most of us, it’s a long, brutal process.  As for me, I have been looking for an internship since 2014!  Not to mention the large amount of time and energy that it takes to apply.  Each cover letter takes time to write, as it applies to that specific role.  On top of that, you need to revise.  A resume is a bit easier, but those without a strong resume, you can put down all your skills from being in the college.   

I was browsing Handshake when something caught my eye: an internship that includes working alongside an author. I had always wanted to write a book, and now is my chance!  The author works on social justice and making a difference in the world!  I have always wanted to do that!  Is this an ideal opportunity or what?  So I eagerly applied and poured over my cover letter with a career services counselor.  And guess what? I was never chosen. 

Prior to my  Management major, I was an Acounting major.  There was an internship that I got selected for, but I ended up leaving.  You know why?  Because it was causing me a lot of stress.  How the heck am I supposed to know how to do Quickbooks, or do invoices, when I was barely experienced?  I was only a beginner! 

Prior to Accounting, I was a Biology major.  I got a job in the Biology Department as a bio lab assistant, helping one of the faculty members with odd jobs.  It was a pretty decent job, but I ended up leaving that too.  You know why?  Because I never know when to go do the job, and when to not do it.  There wasn’t a set time.  When I go there, the person I report to isn’t there.  If she is, I have to find out where by looking all over the floor.  Sounds like a hassle?  You bet. And so, I left. 

Those are just 2 of my adventures.  I had many more.  It is discouraging to have the door shut in your face after each and every application, because of all the amount of work and energy that gets put into this.  But remember:  you have never failed.  The only failure is when you decide to give up. 

I never let this go, no matter what.  So, I was awarded with an offer to go to Boston to do a Project Management Internship.  I was also encouraged to apply for the CASE Advancement Internship, which I am extremely excited about.  Both University of Richmond and Boston University reached out to me and decided that I was suitable.  But you know what happened?  This  Coronavirus outbreak!  But that doesn’t stop me from all of this.  I will try and try, no matter how many times.  There has to be an opportunity that will accept me.  I won’t give up trying unless I cannot do so anymore.  So why wait?  Go ahead!  Life’s all about taking chances, remember? 

Anni Xie

Framingham '21

My name is Anni Xie and I am a Management Major and an English Minor. I study in Framingham State University, and one of my biggest dreams is to write and publish a book.