This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

Being in college can be a very scary time for some people, especially if you’re living on campus, like I am. This time can be extremely difficult with getting adjusted to your new surroundings. I know for me personally it has been hard not being able to see my parents and my dog every day. When I first moved on campus my anxiety was out of control, but I found some tips on how to beat that college anxiety. I am in no way a doctor or a counselor, but I am someone who has struggled with anxiety for a very long time and I hope this can help you as well.

Go See a Counselor 

See if your school has a counseling center on campus. Sometimes being able to talk to someone other than your friends or parents about how you’re feeling can help a lot. A counselors is that one person you can talk to about anything, and you have the comfort knowing they won’t repeat what you’re saying. Don’t think you’re crazy for going to a counselor; I can promise you that no one thinks that. Most likely there are far more people on your campus that are feeling the same way and seeking the same help! Make an appointment with a counselor and go from there! 

Go to a Peer Mentor 

Okay, you may be thinking “How is a peer mentor going to help me beat my anxiety?” Well, I’m about to tell you! See if your school has a program where you can sign up for a weekly mentoring session. I did that and it helped me out so much! Having a mentor is a way to beat anxiety over your schoolwork before it even starts! Going to a weekly mentor will give you the chance to ask the questions you’re afraid to ask your professor. It will also give you a chance to have someone check any papers you have before you turn them in! And in most cases, you can also ask your mentor questions about the campus and they will most likely have an answer! 

Go to the Gym 

Surprisingly, the gym is one of the best resources to help get through anxiety. Sometimes going to the gym and lifting weights or walking on a treadmill can do wonders for your mental health. While you’re working out, your mind is occupied, so your anxiety slowly fades away. Also, after working out, you tend to feel good about yourself. I know for me, going to the gym and working out can be almost rewarding. Also, don’t be afraid to go to the gym by yourself. I know it can be nerve-wracking at first. You may think people are judging you. But I promise you, they’re not! They’re probably admiring the fact that you’re brave enough to go to the gym by yourself! 

Eat Healthy 

This tip goes along with exercising. Sometimes the healthier the body, the healthier the mind! Eating healthier foods will make your body feel so much better! You won’t feel as bloated as you do when you eat a lot of carbs. Once you start to feel better body-wise, you will start to feel better mentally! Trust me, I know it can be hard to eat healthy, especially if you have a sweet tooth like me! It’s fine to have snacks throughout the day, just eat them in moderation! Make sure to eat your fruits and veggies throughout the day too! This may be hard for a lot of people, including me, but sometimes limiting the amount of caffeine you have in a day can help reduce anxiety also! 

Get Involved 

Get involved in your school! See what clubs your school has to offer. Join as many as you can! Getting involved in different clubs and activities is a great way to meet new people, and the more people you meet and the more friends you make, the less anxious you’re likely to be! Even if you don’t want to join a club, see what activities are happening on campus. If there is a football game or a carnival on campus, go to them! You will meet so many new people by putting yourself out there!

Celia Marchese

Framingham '23

Freshman at Framingham State University, elementary education, and English major.