What’s next for BFFs Jared Fay and Ryan Canty?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Last week Jared Fay, #20 for Fordham Men’s basketball team and a member of the FCRH class of 2015, confirmed that this semester will be his last at Fordham. In a statement via Facebook, Jared announced, “Officially graduating early from Fordham this May in 3 years, and finishing my last two seasons of eligibility of basketball while getting my Master’s degree at a different school. I am really going to miss a lot about Fordham but it is time to move on.”

The decision to leave Fordham just before his senior year comes as a surprise to many of us who have gotten to know Jared, who has shown consistent school spirit and team pride in the last three years. But perhaps the most shocking part of his choice to leave is his imminent split from best friend and teammate Ryan Canty. It’s no secret that the two have been side-by-side since day one at Fordham—look no further than Jared’s Instagram for proof that these two are inseparable. What’s going to happen with the duo now that Jared will be at a different school? In an exclusive interview with Her Campus Fordham the guys talk about their friendship and what’s next for them:

What do you think makes a good best friend?

Ryan: “I think a good best friend is someone who shares the same sense of humor that you have, and also someone who has similar interests.”

Jared: “All of the obvious stuff, but also somebody that will push a friend to be a better person and tell them when they are wrong even if it results in an argument.”

Would you call your friendship a bromance?

Ryan: “You could say so.”

Jared: “One of the best.”

What will you miss most about going to school together and playing on the same team?

Jared: “Inside jokes we have, mirror checks before we go out, blasting music in the locker room, and just all the dumb things we do.”

Ryan: “Always having someone to talk to about funny things that happen during games and practice.”

How has Fordham shaped your friendship, if at all?

Jared: “Fordham made us lifelong friends.”

Ryan: “We weren’t very close senior year of high school, Fordham was kind of the string that tied us together.”

You two live together, play basketball together, and hang out together almost every day. How do you avoid getting on each other’s nerves?

Ryan: “We have had arguments that have lasted a few months when we didn’t really like each other, but we always let the arguments go.”

Jared: “We have had plenty of arguments, but we always laugh them off like brothers.”

How will you handle your long distance best-friendship next year when Jared is at a new school?

Ryan: “He will probably visit Fordham, and I will visit him now and then.”

Jared: “I will visit Fordham here and there but eventually we were going to be apart next year just happens to be it.”

How do you feel about the phrase “no new friends?” 

Ryan: “I feel like it makes my chances of becoming Drake’s new best friend pretty low.”

Jared: “Way of life haha, but it’s good to make a few new friends on occasion.”

Which famous dynamic duo would you compare yourselves to?

Ryan: “I’d say we’re like Sully and Mike from Monsters Inc.”

Jared: “Ryan’s answer is spot on, we were supposed to be Mike and Sully for Halloween every year but we never did it.  But, if I have to say something other than that, I would say SpongeBob and Patrick.”

Photos Courtesy of Instagram/jfay1020

Alyssa is a senior at Fordham University pursuing a major in Communications and Media Studies, and a minor in Spanish. With career goals ranging from digital editor at a major women's magazine, to writing a best selling young adult novel, she has put her skills to the test in many different areas of the communications field.