#ThingsOnlyWomenWritersHear Was Trending On Twitter This Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Earlier this week, #ThingsOnlyWomenWritersHear was trending on Twitter. Chocolat author Joanne Harris started the hashtag after a conversation regarding society’s expectations of women to put a family first over their career. You’d be livid at the comments these women have received. And even more importantly, the fact that they were rolling in the RT’s from other women writers means that they’re extremely common to hear in the industry.

You’d think that in 2017, we wouldn’t be having this kind of conversation. But as our contributor Lauren wrote, she was taught to encourage sexism in class, so it’s no surprise you go from dealing with it in school to your career. Some men even joined the conversation, but not in a good way. They felt the hashtag was unnecessary and didn’t imply sexism at all. Sometimes it’s frustrating how much we still have to do to reach equality of the sexes, but one thing is for sure, if we surround ourselves with women like these we’re on the right track.

Featured image via Bustle

Natalie is a senior at Fordham University where she is a Communications major, concentrating in Journalism. She's previously been a Public Relations Intern at Rent the Runway, a Features Editor at Seventeen Magazine, and an Editorial Intern at Dance Spirit Magazine. This semester, she has the opportunity to combine both of her passions, dance and journalism, as a Press Intern at the New York City Ballet. She continues to take class at the infamous, Broadway Dance Center as she hopes to enjoy her senior year to the fullest.