The Ultimate Main Character Fall Playlist 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Fall is such a special time of year. Orange and red decorate the trees. Piles of leaves tempt the inner child. Cinnamon permeates the air. Chunky sweaters become the uniform. The list goes on.

To fully immerse oneself in the aesthetic of autumn, one should listen to music that radiates all the characteristics of this special season. Lucky for you, I have compiled a list of songs that feel like a Gilmore Girls fall. Because we all know – Stars Hollow is the pinnacle idea of autumn. 

“There She Goes” by The La’s 

Released in 1990 by the English rock band, this song feels like riding your bike around Stars Hollow as the leaves dramatically fall off their branches behind you. It’s the perfect soft rock ballad to make you feel like the main character. 

“Linger” by the Cranberries  

Unsurprisingly, another throwback song to add to the mix! For me, fall is a feeling of nostalgia, and the Cranberries fuel that emotion. The indie/rock song is like one big hug. It evokes all the memories of jumping in a pile of leaves and going apple-picking as a kid. 

I can imagine Kathleen Kelly from You’ve Got Mail listening to this song while walking to her book shop.

“Stick Season” by Noah Kahan

“Very New England fall driving with the windows down, the leaves are changing” is what my old roommate texted me about this song. Of course, she was right. 

This song was released just a few weeks ago and speaks to the New England fall experience. Noah Kahan perfectly paints the picture of a small town in Vermont with nothing to do other than drive around and play fetch with your dog. The title of this song proves that Noah Kahan was heavily influenced by autumn, and the lyrics demonstrate it as well. It’s one of my favorite songs at the moment, and it is rightfully addicting. 

I wish I could add the entire album to this playlist because it is perfect. I give you permission to ditch this playlist and listen to the album. 

“Exile” by Taylor Swift (feat. Bon Iver)

Major unpopular opinion, but I am not the biggest fan of Taylor Swift. Sorry. However, I am mature enough to realize that a fall playlist is incomplete without the former country singers’ music. 

Taylor Swift perfectly embodies the feeling of seasonal changes. Her introspective lyrics offer the perfect excuse to sit outside and take in the changes.

“Autumn in New York” by Bing Crosby 

It just feels right. It is autumn in New York. You feel as if you’ve been transported to Central Park with this throwback. 

“Something in the Orange” by Zach Bryan

If fall were a time of day, it would be morning. And this song is what it’s like watching the sunrise turn the leaves golden. I’m not one for country music, but this song transcends genres. If you haven’t listened to this 2022 song yet, please give it a listen. I promise it will be on repeat.

“Apple Pie” by Lizzy McAlpine 

From the title alone, you can imagine what this song feels like. It reminds me of walking into the kitchen where my mom is baking a homemade pie. Like baking a pie, this song is a comfortable feeling that has the power to relax you. 

“Calico Skies” by Paul McCartney 

The acoustic guitar feeds into the autumnal nostalgia. To me, there’s a feeling of gratitude that speaks to Thanksgiving energy. 

“Where you Lead” by Carole King 

Two words: Gilmore Girls.

“From the Dining Room Table” by Harry Styles

I could never create a playlist without a song by Harry Styles. This song from his first album feels like the end of fall. I imagine this song describes how the trees feel when they lose all their leaves. It’s a perfectly peaceful song that can assist in decompressing from the seasonal depression that might creep in. 

Put on your chunkiest sweater, grab a cup of warm coffee, and listen to this playlist. I promise it will make you feel like you’re in a New England Hollywood set. I have put together a playlist with these songs and some more on Spotify. You can listen to it here!

Gabriella is a junior at FCRH majoring in journalism with a minor in fashion studies. When not writing for Her Campus, she keeps busy with the Fordham Ram, MODE Magazine, Fordham Dance Marathon, and the Rose Hill Society.