Culture > News

New Democratic House Majority Leader In Sight… Or is Pelosi Just Back in the Spincycle?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

As Democrats have recently taken over the house, they need to unite to elect a new House majority leader.

In 2007, Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) became the first woman to serve as Speaker of the House – the highest-ranking woman in US political history. Her biggest legacy is getting the Affordable Care Act passed in the House.

So, with the position open, it looks as though Pelosi is ready to be elected again. However, the newly elected democratic party has other plans. Sixteen Democrats said Monday that they will oppose Rep. Nancy Pelosi’s bid for House speaker. “We are thankful to Leader Pelosi for her years of service to our Country and to our Caucus,” her opponents wrote. “However, we also recognize that in this recent election, Democrats ran on and won on a message of change.”

Though Pelosi is the only speaker candidate who has declared ahead of a party nominating vote on Nov. 28, (with a vote of the full House on Jan. 3.), her opponents believe that an alternative will emerge if it becomes clear Pelosi does not have the 218 votes needed to win in January.

During a February meeting in 2017, Pelosi told some high-ranking lawmakers she was here only to defend her signature domestic achievement (Obamacare) and would have left Congress had Hillary Clinton won, according to sources in the room. With Clinton in the Oval Office, Pelosi’s signature achievement would have been safe. With Donald Trump in the White House, however, it’s facing impending destruction.

So, does Pelosi just want to protect her own achievements? Is she really fit to be the face of the Democratic party- which currently is filled with new, buzzing, young candidates. Frankly, Pelosi has been through the ropes enough, and the democratic party is in need of change. Though she brings firm, experienced leadership on board, she also brings back old, tired, and reused ideas.

Democrats and Republicans alike stand by idly waiting for someone else to contest for the seat alongside Pelosi. Many are looking towards Rep. Marcia Fudge. Rep. Tim Ryan (D-Ohio), a Pelosi detractor, has urged Fudge to mount a serious challenge. She appeared receptive to the idea but has not yet made a decision. “I’m still thinking about it,” Fudge, a fellow Pelosi critic, told CNN on Thursday night as she stood outside her Capitol office. She added that she has been “overwhelmed” by the number of members encouraging her to run.

This period between an election and taking office could have been used to focus on policy plans for the incoming party. Instead, Dems are showing there’s some disarray over the direction of the party. And who should lead it come January?

Hi everyone! I'm from Buffalo, NY and I'm majoring in Political Science & French at Fordham. I am so proud to be Editor of our chapter. I love keeping up with politics and current events, enjoy my articles!