This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Name: Mary Munshower

Hometown: Manhattan, NY

School/Year: FCRH ‘18

Major/Minor: Communications and Media Studies major, Music minor

Campus involvement: WFUV Public Radio – Video Engineer, Campus Activities Board Executive Board & Concert Committee Co-Chair, Lambda Pi Eta

1. How did you start playing the drums and how long have you been playing?

I first became interested in music when I was four years old and decided to start taking piano lessons. Piano was fun and I kept taking lessons for about eight years, but I wanted to try something new so I started guitar lessons. When I realized guitar wasn’t my favorite, I tried the drums and absolutely loved it! My dad always jokes why couldn’t I just choose to play a small, quiet, instrument that is easy to store and transport like the flute.

2. Can you tell us a little bit about your experience being in a band and what some of the highlights were?

I’ve been in a bunch of different bands for as long as I can remember – it started when I went to a summer music camp when I was in middle school and met a lot of people who were looking to share their passion for music just like I was. In high school, I played with a band at many music venues in the city including The Bitter End, The Underground Lounge, Highline Ballroom, and even The Marlin Room at Webster Hall. I was a part of a band at Fordham for my first two and a half years here, and winning the 2016 Battle of the Bands and then getting to open for Matt and Kim at Spring Weekend was definitely one of the biggest highlights I’ve had as being a part of a band.

3. What has your experience been as a female drummer? Do you feel like there are any stereotypes or misconceptions about being a female musician?

Whenever I’ve walked into a concert venue or recording studio, everyone who works there has immediately assumed that I’m the band’s singer. I feel like there are definitely some stereotypes about being a female musician— there are certain instruments or roles in a rock band thought of as more “common” for women, such as the keyboards or being the vocalist. I have never had a particularly negative experience, but I don’t love hearing people make comments like “Wow she’s good – for a girl.” I appreciate the compliment, but it’s more effective if the second half is left out.

4. You’ve had internships at really cool music companies. What has been your favorite internship and why?

My favorite internship so far has been at Glassnote Records. It’s a smaller, independent label, compared to Columbia Records where I worked two summers ago, and I had the opportunity to grow really close to the five other interns while being able to attend events for the artists who the label represents and earn hands-on experience. I felt like a part of the team for four months and fostered relationships that will carry me throughout my career in the music business. This summer I’ll be interning with City Parks Foundation and SummerStage so I’m really looking forward to gaining experience in event production and getting to attend a ton of cool concerts throughout all five boroughs.

5. What are some of your personal favorite bands or artists?

That’s the hardest question! And the answer definitely varies from week to week. I love alternative rock music and dance music. Some long-term favorites are Atlas Genius, The Neighbourhood, Tove Lo, and at the moment I’m really into this hip-hop/electronic artist that I just stumbled upon recently called Blackbear.

6. As co-chair of CAB’s concert committee, what are you looking forward to the most about the Spring Weekend concert?

I’m really looking forward to seeing how everything comes together! We’ve been working on this since last summer, so I’m really excited that the day is finally here! We tried to take the concert in a different direction this year by making it more of a festival environment and selecting artists who fall outside of the traditional alternative-rock genre that past Spring Weekend concerts have been.

7. What have been some of the challenges and rewards of being on the concert committee?

The biggest challenges this year have been finding an artist who is relevant, within budget, adheres to Fordham’s Jesuit mission and values that the Administration approves of, is available on the day of our event, all while trying to take the concert in a new direction. The date of our event is the second busiest of the entire year for artists since most schools have their Spring Flings/Concerts on this same weekend. Trying to find an artist in the pop and hip-hop genres also faces a new set of challenges, since the most famous artists of the moment are incredibly expensive, and the lyrics tend to be less appropriate in the eyes of the Administration than those of the alternative rock bands. 

This year, for the first time in many years, we were able to branch outside of the alternative rock genre and respond to the students’ request for an artist that is in the pop/hip-hop genre. The artists listed on the concert survey are not necessarily a list of artists we will choose from, but give us a sense of the genres and types of artists that students are interested in. It is also a challenge hearing some of the negative and completely false rumors that some students have started surrounding the concert — it is not true that our headliner cancelled on us, and just because students pay a certain amount in tuition annually does not correlate to us having a certain amount of money in our concert budget. 

The greatest reward is seeing everyone so excited about the event and all of the hype that leads up to the day of the concert, knowing that I was able to contribute to making the day such a fun one for the thousands of students who will attend. We love all of the positive comments and encouragement we have received from the student body, and really appreciate everyone who has acknowledged the 10+ months of hard work that we have put in to making this event a fantastic one!

8. What is your favorite thing about Fordham?

There are so many things I love about Fordham but one of my favorite things is the campus. It’s so beautiful and makes you feel like you’re in a suburban area with all of the trees and flowers and grassy areas, but then just beyond the gates, you have all of New York City at your fingertips. It’s the best of both!

9. Guilty pleasure?

The raspberry almond bar from Prince Coffee House on Arthur Avenue.

10. If you had a song play every time you walked into a room, what would it be?

Walking on Sunshine by Katrina & The Waves.

Sophia is a sophomore from Houston, Texas majoring in Marketing and minoring in Film & Television at Fordham University. When she is not in class you can find her watching Survivor, listening to true crime podcasts, or wandering around New York City in search of her next favorite sweet treat.