I Started My First Internship in New York City

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px Helvetica; color: #000000; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.0px Helvetica; color: #000000; -webkit-text-stroke: #000000; min-height: 13.0px} span.s1 {font-kerning: none}

I completed a milestone this week. Or, better said, I started the journey that would lead to the completion of a milestone in my life this week. On Wednesday, I had my very first day of work at my brand new internship in the heart of New York City. Fifteen year old me would lose her mind if she could see me now.

I had a lot of different small expectations for my internship. The main one, probably, was actually getting there. Weirdly enough. I pictured something not unlike Carrie in Sex and the City sashaying down 5th like everything in Manhattan is simply in walking distance. That has not exactly been my experience, but there is something a little prestigious in getting to take the train into Grand Central every morning. That’s definitely not something everybody gets to do every day.

My actual job is not too shabby either if I do say so myself. I’m the public relations intern at Birchbox, which I’m sure all beauty-girls know by name. If you don’t, it’s a woman-owned-and-operated, e-commerce and subscription based service that sends out beauty products to people all over the world, every month. It’s algorithm based and totally personalized. So, all around pretty awesome. 

I haven’t had very much time in the office so far, but my New York City working girl dreams are off to a pretty good start. 

I enjoy British cookies. Biscuits, if you will.