you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

How to Find a Summer Internship in NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

It is quite a daunting task, that of breaking into the professional working world. How do you move from studying on your own schedule to working full-time? How do you juggle finishing school while giving it your all at work? The easiest answer: a summer internship!

Summer internships, especially for college students living in New York City, is a great way to move further along a career path that, in the grand scheme of things, is difficult to build up while enrolled in school full-time. NYC has countless summer opportunities – so many companies are looking for young & enthusiastic undergraduates to fill entry-level positions & it’s up to YOU to take advantage of that!

Here are a few essential tips to snag a Summer 2019 internship that is perfect for you:

Necessary Application Credentials

1. Updated Resumé: It is essential that you send out the most updated version of your resumé to potential employers. This should include relevant jobs that you have had in the past, current involvement on campus, & any skills you may possess that you believe would be crucial to successfully carrying out the particular jobs you are applying for. Visit the following link for some tips on writing a resumé that’s bound to get your hired: https://www.themuse.com/advice/43-resume-tips-that-will-help-you-get-hired.
  2. ​​Comprehensive LinkedIn Profile: In addition to a resumé, it is important that you curate an in-depth LinkedIn profile. Many students do not realize the plethora of jobs listed on LinkedIn, as well as the benefits of being connected with like-minded students & business professionals. (Tip: Think of your LinkedIn profile as a larger, more detailed version of your resumé.) Create a profile today: https://www.linkedin.com!
  3. Cover Letter: A cover letter is a supplement to your resumé, something that highlights your greatest skills & achievements & allows you to tell a recruiter why you believe your particular accolades will benefit the business to which you are applying. (*Note: Not ALL companies & application processes require a cover letter, but it is always good to have a template in your repetoire just in case.) This is a good wesbite to look through if you are having trouble writing one: https://www.thebalancecareers.com/free-cover-letter-examples-and-writing-tips-2060208.

Preparations

Once you have an updated resumé, an active LinkedIn profile, & a convincing cover letter, you should ask yourself the following questions before applying:

• What exactly are you looking for? (Hint: Answer should be something like “a paid summer 2019 internship in New York City.”)
  • What industry would you like to work in?
  • Do you meet all of the necessary job requirements, i.e. age, minimum GPA, major or specific area of study, availability, etc.?
  • Are you prepared for several rounds of interviews? (*Note: Most companies hiring in the summer require anywhere between 2 & 6 rounds of interviews, either via telephone, Skype, in-person, etc.)

Where to Look

It can be overwhelming trying to figure out where to start your internship search. Here are some great places to look:

• Linkedin (Job Postings Section)
  • Glassdoor
  • Indeed.com (*Note: This wesbite can be a little tricky to navigate.)
  • Internships.com
  • Your University Career Services Office
  • Your Previous &/or Current Adjunct Professors

How to Apply

Besides sending out your resumé & filling out tailored applications directly through the websites mentioned above, there are a few other ways to get your name out there & vy for an internship spot:

• Reach out on LinkedIn
  • Attend a campus career fair
  • Engage in information sessions & events held by companies in the city
  • Use personal connections to get your resumé in the hands of recruiters

These little tips will lead you on a path of success in finding an internship that is worthwhile. Happy job hunting!

Hey girls! I'm a Senior Marketing Major & Business Law & Ethics Minor, originally from New Jersey. I served as our chapter's Campus Correspondent for a little over a year, but I am continuing to pursue my passion for writing during my last few months at Fordham.