Celina Timmerman-Girl In Winter Hat
Celina Timmerman-Girl In Winter Hat
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Hey, girlies! It seems crazy that within less than a month Winter will officially begin in NYC, and we have already had plenty of those days. The kind where it’s dark, gloomy, and freezing outside and you just want to stay in bed where it’s nice and cozy. No can do! While it may seem like the perfect excuse to have a lazy day in, this is the time to make sure you’re keeping busy. For many, the volatile Winter season brings not only a drastic change in weather, but also the onset of the “Winter blues.” Otherwise known as SAD, or seasonal affective disorder, the Winter blues are not something you want to ignore. Below I have compiled a list of helpful tips on how to keep those blues at bay!

Stay Active

It’s challenging to get yourself to the gym when it’s freezing outside. But trust me, it’s SO worth it. Whether you do a solo workout or opt for one of many group workout classes, exercising will get your blood pumping and bring out some much-needed endorphins. But if the gym isn’t for you, there are plenty of alternatives! I like going on runs in the “Botans,” but you can always do a quick workout within the comfort of your own room.

Make Time for Friends

Keep up with friends! No, not the TV show. Close your laptop, and make time for your real life pals. Whether it’s a girls’ night, grabbing dinner, or hosting a group study session, human contact can be the cure to getting rid of meddlesome feelings of loneliness.

Light Therapy

Light therapy has proven to be an effective treatment for SAD and involves sitting close to a light lamp or box for about 30 minutes each morning. Available to order on Amazon (I’ve seen some for $35!), the “light box” works by resetting circadian rhythms.

Find YOUR Thing

The most important tip I can give is to find something that works for you. Whether it’s going on solo trips into the city, journaling, making playlists, or having an impromptu dance session — try out new ways to de-stress until you find something that has the power to bring you an instant sense of calm.

Hi there, I’m Jo! I’m a sophomore marketing major at Fordham University originally from Austin, Texas. I love checking out new museums, exploring NYC, and going to workout classes with my friends.