Chilling out Your College Dorm Room: A Crash Course

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

With a full course load, a handful of clubs, and a popping social life, college living leaves very little wiggle room for those three holy “r” words: rest, relaxation, and rejuvenation. And let’s face it- you know damn well that you deserve to chill out. This is where your dorm room comes in key, and can act as a sanctuary from the hustle and bustle of your everyday, incredibly tiresome, and totally badass life. So consider this as a crash course- a beginners guide, if you will- to making your dorm the dream sanctuary that you need.

Diffuse Your Tension

A small change that can make a huge difference to your room is an essential oil diffuser. Diffusing essential oils has been proven to be beneficial in various ways. Below I have listed a few popular oils and their benefits.

Eucalyptus: alleviation from headaches and cold symptoms

Lavender: stress reduction; improved sleep

Lemongrass: energy boosting; reduction of stomach, abdominal, and muscle pain

Peppermint: alleviation of headaches; increased energy; reduction of nausea

Orange: alleviation of joint and bone pain; mood boosting; anxiety calming; improved sleep

Links:

Diffuser: color-changing, affordable, and in the perfect mini size for a dorm room!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y2CQRZY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oils: an affordable starter kit containing 6 different essential oils. Add a few drops to the diffuser and let the relaxing begin!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XRLR9RQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

“If it’s broke: fix it!”

If something’s broken, fix it; if something is messy, clean it; and if something is bothering you, get rid of it! If you want your room to act as a sanctuary, there is absolutely no need for stress to emulate from any part of it, whether it’s a half-eaten pizza that’s destined for the garbage, a wobbly desk chair that won’t sit still, or a demanding stack of papers looming on your desk. Take a trip to the trash room, call in a work order, do what you need to do, and voila! Sit back and watch your stress levels melt away.

You are What You Look At

You are what you look at… at least when it comes to the images that you surround yourself with. We all have posters and print outs all over our rooms, so take a look around- what images do you see? When you look at them, what emotions do they evoke? Are the images tranquil, giving you a feeling of serenity, joy, and even confidence? Or do they make you feel confused, stressed or even anxious? This may sound like it’s obvious to tell, but sometimes what we find initially aesthetically pleasing is not always what puts us internally at ease (for example, last year I had a picture of a ferocious tiger on my wall, and in hindsight, I realize that it was an aggressive image that added to my stress whenever I looked at it, even though I thought it was cool at first). Cover your room with images that inspire you and calm you, and steer clear of negative messages, abrasive images, and cluttered nonsense.

Pro Tip: Go for a simple, earthy tapestry for chilled out vibes (such as the one pictured below)