you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

6 Essentials for Your City Internship Looks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Fordham chapter.

Getting ready for your upcoming summer internship in the Big Apple? Not sure what to wear? Here are 6 style essentials that are sure to impress your new office friends & fashionistas alike:

Loafers or Low Heels

Here’s a little secret: stilettos are NOT the way to go when working a 9 to 5 job in the city. They may look cute & totally tie your outfit together, but these shoes will not keep you comfortable & worry-free all day long. Loafers &/or low heels will still give you a polished look & won’t give you any awful blisters. And there’s endless options & colors! Check out these super cute slingback pumps from Nordstrom.

Comfy Shoes for Your Commute

Who wants to be stuck in heels ALL day? Not me! Comfy shoes for your morning subway commutes are a must. I normally go for classic white sneakers or flat boots if it’s raining.

A Basic Blazer

It’s a staple we all need in our closets – the basic blazer. This classic is a piece that can be worn all year round & in countless different ways. Dress it up with tailored slacks & heels, or make things more casual by pairing it with a white t-shirt & blue jeans!

Statement Jacket

While having a basic blazer for your everyday look is important, it’s also good to have a fun & funky statement jacket to switch things up! Check out Zara for some unique options.

Silk Scarf or Bandana

Want to add a lil’ something to spice up your hairstyle or neutral-colored outfit? A silk scarf or bandana is the way to go! The possibilities are endless – tie a fun print bandana in with your ponytail, wear a bright silk scarf around your neck to add some color to your office-wear suit, etc. And you can always keep it tied to the handles of your favorite work bag just in case you might need it to cover your frizz-prone hair if you forget your umbrella on a rainy day! Madewell has some really nice silk scarves – & they’re fairly inexpensive, too!

A Large Tote or Bag

We all love our little cross-body bags & name brand purses, but let’s get real – that’s just not going to cut it! You’ll be transporting larger items like your laptop, paperwork & files, bagged lunch, an extra pair of shoes, & much more everyday this summer, so it’s important to invest in a larger tote or fun leather bag that can support it all. Madewell is also a great place to shop for these, they even do free monogramming if you sign up for their email list!

It’s stressful, I know. Keeping within the work dress code while maintaining your own personal style can be difficult, especially if this summer is your first real gig. But with these few essentials, you’ll definitely look professional & still be able to embrace functional fashion!

Hey girls! I'm a Senior Marketing Major & Business Law & Ethics Minor, originally from New Jersey. I served as our chapter's Campus Correspondent for a little over a year, but I am continuing to pursue my passion for writing during my last few months at Fordham.