Life > Experiences

Why Saying “No” Isn’t Always Such a Bad Thing.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Feeling overwhelmed and wondering why? Take a second to evaluate all that you have said “yes” to and feel proud of, but also continuously feel like you are swarming in a never-ending to-do list. As a college student, getting the hang of things is already a challenge within itself. The pressure of knowing what you need to do after you graduate, and handling your own bills, all while trying to balance your social life is no easy game. We take on activities to help us get a better grasp of what we are really trying to do with our lives. And even if we take a Friday night to ourselves, it feels like we can’t fully enjoy it because of the things left unchecked from the beginning of the LAST week.

Before I unleash the reason why saying “no” is important, I want to make one thing clear: the action of saying “no” does not mean you are giving up on yourself or others. I know it may feel like a missed opportunity, #FOMO, but is saying “yes” to everything really helping you… or stressing you out more?

Burnout is a real thing. So real sometimes we may mistake it for being lazy and tired. When one is constantly working and not putting enough effort into making sure their self-sufficient needs are being fulfilled, then it is easy to feel irritated, distracted, and empty inside when so much is happening around you. Here is some advice to help you “do the most, while also feeling your best.” 

-Ask yourself if it is really worth it. 

Not to be mistaken with something that is quote-on-quote superficial. All that you take on within your college experience, and life in general, will always leave you with an outcome of a better understanding. When coming to terms with whether you will genuinely benefit from the activity will help you get a better gaze at whether or not it is something worth spending your time on. 

-Does it make you happy? 

There is always something that you probably won’t be looking forward to when it comes to doing work. However, the main focus needs to be on something that you are passionate about. That itch keeps you wanting to learn and do more even if you weren’t asked to. This could be with different areas that you find interesting such as event planning, making art, putting outfits together, or even writing. Whatever it may be, find out what it is, if you haven’t already, and stick to doing things within those areas. Anything that lies outside of it, could be said “no” to or gives you a more focused route that is relevant to your present and possible future likings. 

-Know that you are exactly where you need to be

Even though it may seem like a missed opportunity if your gut isn’t telling you to go for it… then let it be. There have been many times when I wanted to be a part of something but didn’t necessarily need to. Over time the difference became clear in how the action of saying “no” made me feel. When you are caught in between a pool of decisions, you start to realize that there is no wrong answer. Just a choice. One that has to be taken into consideration for your well-being as a whole. 

Every season is different and there will be times when we can take on more than we thought possible. But it is important to evaluate these upcoming events because each one has something special to offer. Both good and the “I’m never putting myself through that again” bad. When things get too overwhelming…give yourself the permission to say “no” to certain areas of your life that could use some maintained discipline. So be kind to yourself and remember that you can. 

Kimora is a writer from the HerCampus Chapter at Florida International University. *Her current status: vlogging. Join the #kimmunity