What I Didn’t Expect To Get From Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

1. A variety of conversation starters

The amount of stories I have from studying abroad, whether it be of places, or situations, have been an incredible way to connect with people. I have shared these stories with way more people than I ever expected- in interviews, jobs, networking, and just socially. I had to come up with several ways to be innovative in my travels to get everything I wanted done. These experiences have helped me to relate to a variety of individuals that have been in similar situations and makes me feel even more human whenever I do. It has also led to developing deeper relationships, and given me the most real friends I have ever had.

2. An inner confidence that exudes to others

Until recently, I hadn’t realize the confidence I have been exuding to others. I truly believe this inner confidence started showing more after studying abroad. My first experience abroad gave me the courage to be able to go wherever I wanted in the world. When I was younger I was pretty scared to travel alone, therefore I challenged myself to do two more study abroad programs that took me all the way to Dubai and India. Without these experiences, I don’t know if I would feel the way I do now about being able to tackle on any adventure and opportunity that crosses my way. I am open to relocating for work experience and have realized the value of getting outside of your comfort zone.

3. Souvenirs that take me back in time, and inspire others

Throughout the three study abroad programs I did, I collected souvenirs that were not only personal to me, but also inspiring to others. My favorites are now the jewelry I wear spontaneously from all over the world. These pieces remind me of all the memories I have made in all my travels, but have also led to incredible conversations with people who compliment these accessories. I end up sharing my stories with others who take time to point out these pieces I purposely wear, and hope it’ll lead them to create their own abroad experiences one day.

4. A stronger yearning to learn

Traveling has helped me to see all the information there is in the world to learn. Every country has its own history, art, and culture to be proud of. It is what makes the world go round, and what has led me to be where I am, and all my friends are today. Understanding the world in a more personal way, has helped me to connect with others I meet in a more personal way too. I now have an interest, stronger than ever, to know where any individual I meet comes from and his or her background. It explains so much when you know this, and it’s beautiful to me when you can take away even more from a conversation because of experiences that helped you connect more personally with those you meet next.

5.  A satisfying feeling that the world is just one flight away

Realizing that the world is only one flight away is insane. I sometimes feel invincible because of this. I have also developed a strong appreciation for good airlines that work to make this easier and more affordable. They are truly changing the world in this way, and making it smaller and smaller so we can all more easily reach each other. No thought makes me happier than that.

I hope these points convinced you it’s time to get the next flight to an adventure nearer to you than you think right now. Traveling truly changes your mindset for the better, now go see for yourself.

Hi, I’m Steff, and I believe “Style is not changing to fit the fashion but rather changing the fashion to fit you.” What I have found to be true is that the fashion in which one sees opportunities and chooses how they will pursue them to form the lifestyle they live, determines how much happiness their life will bring. Currently, I’m an Honors College student at Florida International University with a double major in International Business and Marketing. Because I have over five years of work experience in retail, I decided to get a Retail Marketing and Management Certificate and am very interested in the business side of the fashion industry. I’m also attaining a Global Media Communications Certificate which makes me qualified for positions in Public Relations, Advertising and even Journalism. Since I’ve grown up in Miami, Florida my whole life, I decided to study abroad. I went to Italy with the FIU Honors program, Switzerland, Austria, and Germany with the FIU Marketing program, and Dubai and India with the FIU Management Program. Therefore, I decided to also get a Certificate in European and Eurasian Studies. Furthermore, due to my work experience in representing several brands and companies, I realized the importance of understanding one's target market, their selling behavior, and staying up-to-date in current trend analysis, so I also decided to get a fourth Certificate in Marketing Research and Analysis and a fifth in Social Media and E-Marketing Analytics. I believe my academic and professional backgrounds have helped me to become an open-minded person who can remain flexible when faced with any kind of adversity and always stay curious. Now I'm writing for Her Campus in hopes to inspire and give back to all my other college girl bosses out there, who I already know are killing it this semester. Best wishes always, Estefania Lastre P.S. it's Steff