This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Welcome back collegiettes! As we prepare for another great semester and year we must go through the painful and agonizing first week, I hope yours was as hectic as mine. As you all have noticed there is a lot of change going on throughout campus, like the mysterious disappearance of the cube, for incoming freshman this cube was very sentimental to most during finals week and to most it was the defining factor when it came to our grades. Who knows if it will be back, it’s still a mystery. As the first week comes to a close hopefully you were all able to tailgate and support our Panthers during their first game. Even though we lost we had a good crowd and I hope you ladies continue to go out and watch the games and support our boys and this goes for any and every sport! School spirit is what keeps all of us going and what will leads us to become a better school and the more you participate, the more people you meet! However, definitely be sure to keep up with all assignments because one wrong move can change a lot. For those of you who don’t believe me remember this when you’re having panic attacks during finals week because you forgot about an assignment that was due the second week of school.

On to a more positive note the first week is over and it only gets easier from here, right? This may be a true statement for those whom prepared for their courses and are even ahead on homework. I commend you ladies, but to the rest I know what you’re going through and I’m right there with you. You’re probably getting harassed by people to join their clubs and try different sororities, sign petitions you had no idea existed, getting lost in lines for food especially Pollo (which was the fuel to my survival for the first week), but never the less if something catches your attention and you are fond of the idea go for it! You only get to experience college once and if worst comes to worst you can always try something else, no hard feelings. Definitely do your research before joining anything or signing anything or even ask questions to people around you. Even if the club has absolutely nothing to do with your major it never hurts to try because let’s face it, most of us don’t end up graduating with the same major we started off with freshman year. To you new ladies I don’t want to scare you, just want to let you know the reality of things.

On a final note be sure to look out for us on campus and tell your friends about us! Let us know what you think about us and what else you would like to see and want us to talk about! Don’t be shy if you have a question we may have the answer! Remember to enjoy your time here and do as much as you can while on campus you never know what kind of opportunities may present or who you may end up meeting! As always, go FIU! GO Panthers! 

A kid raised in Brooklyn, New York home of fashion, art and great culture. The greatest thing to happen to me was living in the city in a sense it was a love/hate relationship because of the area in which I grew up in. Then there was Manhattan filled with all the lights and glamour and things that were on the big screen. Once I moved to Florida it was in a small town called Bradenton which was a huge culture shock because it was the total opposite from what I was used to in every sense ranging from transportation to people. Then there was the care free atmosphere in which shirts and shoes are optional and thong sandals are an every day thing opposed to the city where that is a rare find. Living in Bradenton gave me a different outlook on things and humbled me in a sense. Then moving to Miami for school brought me back to my city roots except with a different view on things and my motivation now is to gain success and not material things as I once dreamed of attaining.