Career > Work

WAYS TO ACE YOUR NEXT INTERVIEW

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

No matter how much experience you have, interviews can always be a little nerve wracking. Despite this, they can become easier to navigate with time. With many spring internships and summer fellowship programs opening applications, here are a few tips on how to ace your interviews.

Study the job or internship description

Studying the job or internship description, as well as details on the company, is crucial. Gathering information can help you figure out what questions they may ask and shows them that you’re enthusiastic enough to do the extra homework.

PROPERLY INTRODUCE YOURSELF

It can be tough when an interviewer asks you to tell them about yourself, even though it’s a simple question. Here’s how to break that down:

• Discuss current situation – Current role, major, relevant achievements and previous responsibilities.
  • Work your way back – Hit key points along your professional journey. How have they helped you professionally?
  • Connect your background, interests, and qualifications back to your job – How will that experience and background allow you to succeed in that role? How does it align with your goals?
TiE ANSWERS BACK TO YOUR SKILLS AND/OR ACCOMPLISHMENTS
AppleEmploy Hero PAID R2 Hero?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

Doing this is a great way to highlight key points that may or may not be on your resume, especially ones that fit what the employer is looking for within your desired position.

use the star method

The STAR method is an effective way to answer any behavioral-based questions asked by your interviewer, whether it be hypothetical or a question based on your experience. STAR stands for:

• Situation – Set the scene and provide context.
  • Task – Describe your task in that scene.
  • Action – Explain what you had to do.
  • Result – Describe the result of the situation and what was learned or benefited from it.
ALWAYS ASK QUESTIONS
corporate cute?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
20th Century Studios

It’s important to ask questions at the end of your interview. These can be questions you prepare beforehand based on the interviewer or questions that may come to mind during the interview. Asking questions shows that you are engaged and truly interested in this position. Interview your interviewer! After all, you’ll be deciding on whether or not to take the opportunity if presented with one. You’ll want to make sure that it’s the right fit for you.

Camille Garcia is a senior at Florida International University majoring in Public Relations, Advertising, and Applied Communications. She is currently president at BOLD FIU, a student-run strategic communications agency, and hopes to establish a career in advertising post-graduation. She loves fashion, literature, film photography, vinyl record collecting, and trying new things.