jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Staying Focused on Your Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

We’re halfway through February and if you go into any gym, you can already see that the hype has died down. People are slowly going back to eating junk and skipping their workouts. The New Year’s craze has passed and life is back to normal. You can always start on Monday right? Wrong! It’s only February! Here are a few ways to keep going! 

For the “I will get fit,” Resolutioners The best tip to keep going when it comes to working out and getting in shape is to find yourself a buddy or even a group. Find a way to keep yourself accountable to more than just yourself. Cheating you should be worse than cheating another person, but, we will always be more likely to stick to something if we know someone is pressuring us. It’s good pressure. Post your meals on social media, get a friend to work out with you, freely talk about how you’re eating right and want to get in shape. There are great apps to track your exercise and food intake as well. The app “Lose it,” give you a calorie limit for each day based off your end goal. It will even estimate when you will reach that goal. Similar to this app is “MyFitnessPal,” which if you subscribe monthly to it, will also give you a break down of your daily nutritional values. These little changes give you a more positive experience with exercise and dieting. A more positive experience you’re more willing to stick to! 

Gif Courtesy of https://media.giphy.com/media/5tpVP2B1yE2Nq/giphy.gif

For the “I will get more organized,” Resolutioners Don’t give up on your agendas. It takes 114 times for something to become a habit. So, if you filled out that agenda a few times in January and stopped, it’s only February! Get back to it! Filling out agendas really do put your mess on paper in a way that you feel in control of it. Something else to try for physically reducing clutter is embracing mess, to obtain organization. Like with the agenda, if you spread everything out in your view, you can organize it better to your needs. Tackle your closet, your drawers, lay everything out and pick what you love and only what you love. Chances are you’ll only keep about 50% of the things in front of you. Another tip for keeping organized is making sure that everything you took into your car, you bring back inside with you at the end of the day. It sounds impossible! But you don’t need three pairs of shoes, two umbrellas, and a jacket in your trunk. 

Gif Courtesy of https://media.giphy.com/media/5YIYp1LVJeGMU/giphy.gif

For the “I’m going to get out of debt,” Resolutioners Setting budgets is your best friend. Breaking down your paycheck can sometimes be a little sad. But if you move it around as soon as you get it you have a better idea of what you can spend until the next paycheck. Don’t send almost your whole paycheck to a credit card bill. It’s great to get that balance down, but if you’re left with nothing you’re going to end up using what you paid off anyway. Always keep a portion for daily upkeep. Plan things in advance, if you know you have a trip coming up or a bill or textbooks to buy, write it down, and decide what you can and can’t do this paycheck instead of spreading yourself to thin doing everything. If you spread yourself to thin, you’ll just go back to the credit card. If worst comes to worst you can always put your credit card in a drawer until you reach a certain balance. 

Gif Courtesy of https://media.giphy.com/media/Q8JhKDsvVxPRS/giphy.gif

For the “I’m going to drink more water,” Resolutioners This one can only have so many tips. But! There are apps for this too. Plant Nanny is one. Every time you finish a bottle of water, your plant gets watered and every level up it grows! So that’s some motivation. Other than that you can also invest in a cool water bottle you want to carry around with you. There’s thousands to choose from. Add lemon or mint of fruits to your water, this also makes it more enjoyable. You can do it! 

Gif Courtesy of https://media.giphy.com/media/l3q2S03OiGhhUXpII/giphy.gif

For any kind of resolution, February is the test that separates those who are serious and those who will try again next week. Don’t give up! Make it fun! It wasn’t impossible to hope for your resolutions on January 1st, It’s not impossible to hope for them in February either. Keep it up!

LKG

Sources: 

Cover Photo: https://weheartit.com/entry/62726958

Lillie is an English and Literature Student with a track in Creative Writing as well as experience in Public Relations and Law at Florida International University. She has a love for the arts, writing, creativity and adventure and focuses on sharing her experiences as well as informing her audience on current events in her writing.