This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

We are bombarded with the “perfect” image of a woman on social media every day and it can take a toll on our self-esteem. What people don’t realize is that Instagram is only a highlight of someone’s life. We don’t see the imperfect side because people only want you to see the positive. So the next time you see someone post about their new promotion or their rockin’ body, just remember there are a million other things that they aren’t showing us. Very few people post about their insecurities. They try to hide them instead. There’s no shame in having insecurities, but it’s important that we encourage and uplift each other to have the confidence to see the “perfect” in others and not feel bad about ourselves too. 

Most of the models we see on Instagram have gotten plastic surgery or fillers and try to pass it off as natural beauty. This creates a false reality in our minds, making us believe that they have naturally perfect bodies, which makes us relentlessly try to exercise and diet to look exactly like our favorite Instagram model. But the problem with that is after dieting and exercising just like a model, we notice that our bodies STILL don’t look like theirs, and that’s because they had plastic surgery (though very few celebrities admit it).

woman measuring her hips with a yellow measuring tape
Photo by Huha Inc. from Unsplash

There’s no shame in plastic surgery or fillers! Our bodies are our canvas! However, is not telling people about your plastic surgery hurting the self-esteem of others? Do we live in a society that pressures women into changing their appearance? Are we guilting ourselves for eating whatever we want? The answer to all of these is YES. It’s about time we accept ourselves for who we truly are. 

Gabriela Gutierrez-Gallo is a senior at Florida International University, majoring in journalism with a minor in social media and e-marketing. Her true love is New York City and her interests include home decor, film and television history, traveling, and skincare.