Snack And Meal Options That Taste Great And Are Good For You Too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

With instant access to food delivery companies and enticing products on the shelves, eating healthy can sometimes be a challenging feat. When pairing these factors with being a college student who has to balance ongoing assignments, a job or internship, and late-night study sessions during a pandemic, cognition of our consumption habits is not always the focus of our immediate attention. Here are five different meal products and combinations that are a part of my recommendations list.

LaraBar Cereal

Consisting of nine ingredients or less, LaraBar Cereal is a great breakfast meal to incorporate into your morning routine. This dairy and gluten-free, non-GMO product with zero artificial sweeteners, some ingredients include whole grain oats, honey, and rice. The minimal sugar content of 11 grams does not hinder its natural ingredients that formulate the brand’s flavor lines of “Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip,” “Cashew Cookie,” and “Apple Pie.”

Avocado Toast (with Canyon Bakehouse Bread)

Another breakfast meal I incorporate into my routine is avocado toast using Canyon Bakehouse Bread. This gluten-free line consists of various bread types, including 7-grain, Cinnamon Raisin, and Deli-Style Rye but bagels and English muffins. They are topped with avocado slices (mashed), with seasonings: salt, pepper, garlic pepper, red pepper flakes, cilantro, and sometimes a fried egg. *Chef’s kiss.* This meal is an excellent combination of necessary carbohydrates, protein, and fruit (yes, fruit, because avocados have seeds), servings to start the day off fresh.

MadeGood Bars

Between Zoom classes with limited time, I always make sure to grab a bar or two that will keep me full and focused until the upcoming session ends. These bars by “MadeGood,” are entirely allergen-free and contain organic fruits and vegetable extracts. The vitamin servings from the incorporated ingredients are a great contributor to the standard % Daily Value. My choice? Mixed Berry.

5 Ingredient, 5 Minute Smoothie Bowl

To make this sweet “treat,” blend frozen strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and pineapple chunks with coconut water. In making this task even more straightforward, my go-to is purchasing Whole Foods’ Organic Frozen Fruit Berry Blend along with pre-cut pineapple chunks. I use coconut water instead of regular filtered or bottled water because it not only adds an extra sweetness balance, but it is an antioxidant booster and a supporter in decreased risk of heart disease and diabetes. I add extra pineapple chunks, coconut flakes, and chia seeds (also infused in the smoothie).

Partake Cookies

Also free from all allergens and minimally refined sugars, this Black-owned cookie brand established in 2016, will want you going back for more. Whether it be a few in-between classes or filling a midnight craving, I always find myself eating these goods without any skin breakouts caused by sugar or artificial ingredients. When I feel like going all out, I intermingle them with LesserEvil’s Himalayan Sweetness (a blend of sweet and salty), non-GMO popcorn made with Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, and Organic Brown Rice Syrup. A perfect indulgence when binging Netflix.

*All opinions regarding these food products are my own. This article is not a paid or sponsored post. It is important to consider consulting a licensed nutritionist and conduct intense research before incorporating new foods into your diet, in general.