Save now thank yourself later

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

It’s that time of the month again, and if you no longer live at home or dorm then you know exactly what I’m talking about. That big chunk of money that is ripped from your bank account and soul once a month is gone once again. The thing is, you need a room and a roof over your head or so they tell you. I’m kidding, don’t go and break your lease or move out into your car just yet. There are other ways that you can save money and not go insane every month. Ladies you can start with some of your daily rituals such as coffee and eating out. Then there’s buying random items you swear you need at that moment in time because you left it at home such as lipsticks, lotions, and other random unnecessary beauty products. Don’t lie to yourself, I’m sure you spend a good amount of money on lip balms and other unnecessary items at CVS and other convenience stores. There are no excuses for this unless it’s that other time of the month in that case you deserve it and it will not count against you, ever. The other two can be simply resolved, if you’re like me when you’re on campus it’s an all-day thing so there’s no actual room to bring food unless its snacks. For those of us that have early classes the best advice I can give is just to get up a bit earlier, face it you already wake up extra early to get ready, what’s another 20 minutes added to that? Also making coffee at home rather than buying it is way more cost effective in the long run. Now if you eat breakfast at home that’s one less meal you have to buy during your day on campus and you will become more productive throughout the day, it’s a win win situation ladies. Another thing I have noticed is all the snacking that occurs throughout the day and that also includes buying random drinks. If you have a long day ahead of you then it makes sense but instead of buying your snacks on campus you can pretty much buy them wholesale at a convenience store and take some to school every day. Then there are the random drinks you buy throughout the day which empty your pockets and fill your body up with unnecessary sugars (but we will save that conversation for another day). Remember small changes can make a big impact and while you watch your wallet you can also watch your health. Have a great week collegiettes! Go FIU and Go Panthers!

A kid raised in Brooklyn, New York home of fashion, art and great culture. The greatest thing to happen to me was living in the city in a sense it was a love/hate relationship because of the area in which I grew up in. Then there was Manhattan filled with all the lights and glamour and things that were on the big screen. Once I moved to Florida it was in a small town called Bradenton which was a huge culture shock because it was the total opposite from what I was used to in every sense ranging from transportation to people. Then there was the care free atmosphere in which shirts and shoes are optional and thong sandals are an every day thing opposed to the city where that is a rare find. Living in Bradenton gave me a different outlook on things and humbled me in a sense. Then moving to Miami for school brought me back to my city roots except with a different view on things and my motivation now is to gain success and not material things as I once dreamed of attaining.