This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

1. Not knowing a country’s language can be seen as disrespectful.

When you know another person’s language, you are basically telling them you are interested enough in them to take a major amount of time and effort to learn how to properly communicate with them. You can share in a better understanding of where other people come from when you can properly communicate with them.

2. It makes you more marketable in the job world.

Employers are constantly seeking individuals that fit the requirements of the position they’re hiring. However, when you have something unique to offer, something that they cannot train you, it can outweigh some of the other technical skills you may not have since those they can most likely teach you on the job.

3. It’s like having a super power when you can understand what others are saying without them knowing.

Whether it’s on your travels or just in your day-to-day, the world is getting smaller and smaller, and you have definitely heard someone around you speaking in a language you didn’t understand. How cool would it be to actually know what they were saying without them even knowing?

4. It allows you to communicate what you truly want to say to more people in the world, versus relying on a translator that may get your message across wrong.

Every language has its own dialect and slang. Therefore, many times, when one tries to translate, there are many words that are almost impossible to directly do so and get misinterpreted along the way. Knowing a language for yourself helps prevent this misled communication from happening.

5. It may come in handy if you’re ever lost in an unfamiliar place.

Although this sounds like it would never happen to you, trust me it very easily can. If you’re out and about, and your phone dies, and you happen to be alone, knowing the language of wherever you’re at and being able to communicate with whoever is around you is crucial to be able to get out of that uncomfortable and possibly dangerous situation.

Hi, I’m Steff, and I believe “Style is not changing to fit the fashion but rather changing the fashion to fit you.” What I have found to be true is that the fashion in which one sees opportunities and chooses how they will pursue them to form the lifestyle they live, determines how much happiness their life will bring. Currently, I’m an Honors College student at Florida International University with a double major in International Business and Marketing. Because I have over five years of work experience in retail, I decided to get a Retail Marketing and Management Certificate and am very interested in the business side of the fashion industry. I’m also attaining a Global Media Communications Certificate which makes me qualified for positions in Public Relations, Advertising and even Journalism. Since I’ve grown up in Miami, Florida my whole life, I decided to study abroad. I went to Italy with the FIU Honors program, Switzerland, Austria, and Germany with the FIU Marketing program, and Dubai and India with the FIU Management Program. Therefore, I decided to also get a Certificate in European and Eurasian Studies. Furthermore, due to my work experience in representing several brands and companies, I realized the importance of understanding one's target market, their selling behavior, and staying up-to-date in current trend analysis, so I also decided to get a fourth Certificate in Marketing Research and Analysis and a fifth in Social Media and E-Marketing Analytics. I believe my academic and professional backgrounds have helped me to become an open-minded person who can remain flexible when faced with any kind of adversity and always stay curious. Now I'm writing for Her Campus in hopes to inspire and give back to all my other college girl bosses out there, who I already know are killing it this semester. Best wishes always, Estefania Lastre P.S. it's Steff