books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Procrastination Nation: A Good Idea?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

To procrastinate or not? That is the question.

I’m sure you’re all already bombarded by various assignments and even some projects! It is tough isn’t it? Especially if you have to balance a job and some social activities. Due to the fact that we are so overwhelmed, some of us might feel the need to procrastinate. Sounds counterproductive, doesn’t it? And yet, it happens. There is so much to do, and even though you try to space things out in order to have time to do them, you end up leaving things for the last minute. However, it is the absolute worst thing you can do! Especially if it is only your first semester in college. Here are some ways to keep yourself on task and preventing this from happening to you!

1.       Buy a planner and write down what you have to do.

Ladies, I know we all like to buy the nicest or cutest school supplies for the school year because let’s face it, we want every aspect of ourselves to look good. So if you don’t already have one, go out and buy a planner! Each week, make sure to jot down all the events you have to go to, assignments you have to do, appointments you have to take care of, and if you’re employed, your work schedule. It will help you to stay organized.

Tip: Color code! For example, work schedule in red, assignments in blue, events in black, etc. It will make it easier to differentiate what each is.

2.       Think about the outcome of procrastinating.

Will it really bring you any good? Sure, leaving your Philosophy homework for tomorrow to go out with the girls tonight might seem like a good idea, but when its 1:00 am the next day and you’re struggling to finish the assignment and you have to be up in 5 hours; you’ll be beating yourself up over that choice. Not to mention, doing an assignment last minute probably won’t get you the best grade.

3.       What not procrastinating can lead to!

So, you may be missing on a night out with the girls tonight, but I promise it will be so worth it by the time the weekend rolls around. You’ll have all your work done, you’re up to date on the reading, and you’ll be able to go out and have a good time without having to worry about staying up late the next day to work on an assignment. 

Trust me ladies, I know that sometimes it’s hard to not procrastinate. I already feel overwhelmed with assignments, speeches, work, and social activities. Yet I know I can’t hold a lot of the things off for the last minute, and I know that in the end, working my butt off will be worth it!