This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

An ugly gray robe, a weird plastic bed we have to lay on and the thought of a metal prong going you know where while making uncomfortable eye contact with your doctor is one awkward female nightmare. That was my thought when it was time to have my first visit to the gynecologist. If you are anything like me, I had prolonged my first visit with the gyno for a while. I did all my research and asked my friends for their recommendations on doctors. I wanted to be prepared. Going to the Gynecologist might be one of the most uncomfortable things women have to do, but it can also be one of the best things we can do for ourselves.

Visiting the gynecologist will come eventually for every girl. You’ll actually come to realize that it is not as bad as you think. It helps to promote your health and make you feel confident in your choices.

It is critically important to visit the gynecologist at least once a year. Our bodies are always changing and having a yearly checkup is ideal for early detection of any issues.

Going to the gynecologist can prevent many diseases not only caused through sexual interactions, but also some forms of cancer. Most gynecologist help women with advice and even counseling with any matter and everything stays confidential. The doctors are there to comfort us to make sure we have the best possible experience. Don’t be afraid to pay that visit, it’s important for us women to take care of ourselves and do things the right way.

Cover Photo:https://mayoclinichealthsystem.org/hometown-health/speaking-of-health/wh…

Journalism student with a track in Broadcast Media at The School Of Communications & Journalism at Florida International University.  Josie is an ambitious Journalist with a passion to unfold the truth and inform the audience; she loves to write about fashion, lifestyle and current events.