This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

For people that like to make new year resolutions, it is almost a given that “getting back in shape” is part of the list. After all, December is a whole month of leisure and celebration, family time and vacations that one way or another mess with the regular partake in unhealthy habits. Come January 1st, everyone is so eager to achieve their goals, but later on in the following months get discouraged or distracted with other things. If you are part of the majority of people that need to get in shape after all the festivities, keep reading.

Instead of thinking about being healthy and getting back in shape as one of the new year “resolutions”, think about it as a new habit you want to pick up. The difference between a habit and a resolution, is that the first sticks around after January is gone. Resolutions are a nice motivation to kick start the year in a positive way, but they need dedication, discipline and consistency to become habits. Resolutions do not work unless you do.

Now that you know what you need to turn your resolutions into habits, here are some you can start with:

1. Do not skip meals

Instead, decrease the amount of food in each portion and add snacks between your meals. Always remember breakfast is the most important one.

2. Practice your cooking

Even though everyone loves to eat out, the reality is that you won’t get anything healthier than a home-cooked meal. You’ll be saving money and staying away from the unhealthy things like fats ans sodium.

3. Try the vegetarian lifestyle at least once

You can start by incorporating a “vegetarian day” in your week; this will encourage you to be creative and eat things you might not be used to eating, but that will ultimately keep you healthy.

4. Be active

If you plan on joining a gym and working out regularly, that’s great, but if not, then look for alternatives such as daily walks, morning jogs, sports, or try a fitness class that interests you.

5. Increase the good things

Your body will thank you later if you incorporate healthy fats, fruits and veggies into your everyday diet. Accompany those with water and you are set!

Source: Wholistics