samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Making It Through Midterms: A Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

It’s that time of year again. October brings us pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin patches and choosing a cute group costume for Halloween. While you’re in the middle of planning fall festivities and aesthetic IG pictures, something else is creeping up: midterms. Whether you are a first-timer or a seasoned veteran, midterms can stress any student to the point of breaking. The stress of trying to balance school, a social life and a healthy sleep schedule can seem almost impossible. What if midterms didn’t have to be so stressful? Spoiler alert: they don’t.

Plan and make endless amounts of lists. I cannot stress the importance of having a planner or some kind of weekly calendar enough. Write down the due dates for every paper, project or exam that you have during the week of midterms so that there are no surprises. Keeping a to-do list also helps remind you of all the things that you have to accomplish before midterm deadlines.

Break it down. Whether you have a huge group project or super important exam to study for, try breaking it down into smaller tasks that you can do leading up to the week of midterms. Choose your topic and do research then move on to writing sections of your essay one at a time. By breaking assignments down into smaller steps they won’t seem as overwhelming.

Don’t procrastinate but know when to put the books down. Put the phone down and get to studying or working on that project. Whether you have to put websites that block social media on your computer or find some way to reward yourself, your work needs to come first. However, you also need to know when to give your brain a break. Try setting a timer and working for 25 minutes at a time, then taking 5 minute breaks in between to answer texts or grab a snack.

Change up your study space. If you always do your homework in your dorm room or on your bed, try changing it up. Your brain tends to associate those places with rest and relaxation, so you might get tired more quickly if you choose to study in bed. Head to the library or a local coffee shop; a change of space might be exactly what you need to focus and get to work.

Take care of yourself. This is probably the most important tip of all when it comes to surviving midterms. All of the stress brought on by intense studying can take a toll on your body, so remember to take it easy. Don’t pull all-nighters cramming for exams; instead give your brain and body the time it needs to recharge. Also, take time to refocus during the day by going for a walk or hitting the gym. Taking care of yourself is the most important step to getting through midterms. Think of this week as a milestone: we are officially halfway to the end of the semester!

Cover Image: http://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2016/09/10/636090700527423462124652520_Writer-Stress.jpg