Living with Strangers is Hard: Ways to Make Dorm Life Easier

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Dorm life, the best horrible thing you could do in your life. Like most parts of college it’s dramatic, overwhelming but over all, an experience you are grateful for. It was/ is, a part of your life you’ll never forget. So here are some pointers on how to make this complicated journey, go a little smoother.

1. KNOW YOUR AREA

If you’re first moving in, make it a point to get familiar with the surroundings of your apartment.  Know the upstairs, the downstairs, the outside, the inside, the everything. Chances are, this is how you’ll discover your favorite spot; to study, have lunch, think about your future, or maybe it’ll be the place where you do all of those at the same time.

2. KNOW YOUR PEOPLE

Familiarize yourself with the people of your administration, the ones who run your front desk, and the R.A’s. These people are your source of information on anything you could possibly need in a dorm. From the information on your lease, regulations and key acquisition, to where to do laundry, get help with your groceries and even advice you on the best way to deal with a roommate quarrel.

3. ROOMMATE QUARRELS

Disagreements between your housemates will happen, its inevitable, living with strangers is hard.  However, there is a way to diffuse or even avoid a lot of situations. You’d be surprised, but most of it is common sense.

a) The simplest one is to be considerate. There are common areas and everyone should be responsible for cleaning after him or herself. We are all grown ups, and there is no reason for anyone to be picking up after another person.

b) Share common area expenses: dish soap, sponges, and maybe even paper towels. This will ease everyone’s wallet and help create a much-needed relationship with the people you are sharing your space with.

c) Lastly, and perhaps one of the most importantly, talk to each other about discomforts. Get it out before it drives you crazy, and it will! Be honest, be cordial, be friendly, and be respectful. Think about how you would like to be approached.

Living with strangers is hard; there is no need to make it any harder. So, have fun and try to remember you came here to study, and not to learn how to live with strangers. Somehow you’ll end up doing both, which is good because after all, we live in a world full of strangers and that is exactly what is waiting for us after graduation.

image source 

Ms. Torres is a Creative Writing Mayor at Florida International University, she previously attended the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus. She not only speaks English but Spanish as well, and is currently learning French. Other than writing articles for Her Campus FIU (and previously HC UPR), Veronica has been published by a newspaper in Puerto Rico called "Claridad".