Summer Girl Hawaii Yoga Hiking Exercise View
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
Wellness

The Law of Attraction + My Personal Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

The law of attraction has become a key essential to many people’s success, wealth, health, happiness, love, etc. and has even been considered a trend. We hear people praise about it and how much it has changed them, but what exactly is the law of attraction? Well by definition, the law of attraction is the Universe’s magnetic power which draws energies that are similar together. The law of attraction is used universally by many individuals to make anything they want come to life, whether that be a career, a fitness goal, a specific person, a relationship, a cure to an illness, and just about anything one can think of. Yes, it is THAT magical. As unrealistic as that sounds, it is possible. However, the law of attraction alone does not make dreams come true just like that. One cannot just wake up one day and desperately say, “Hey Universe, I want to get A’s in all my classes this semester!” and all of a sudden A’s will show up in your grade book. No, it is the complete opposite. 

By desperately asking the Universe for something one does not have, it will only bring focus to the lack of this particular thing or goal you want to obtain, which will only bring even more lack thereof. Instead, the idea of the law of attraction method is: Manifest it (this can be done in various ways) detach from it, and then do something that will make you come closer to achieving your goals. A prime example would be something that happened to me as I started my fitness journey. I knew exactly what my goals were in terms of my physique. When I started, I was weighing 110 pounds, which was not a healthy weight for someone who is 5’7. So my goals were strictly to gain weight in the healthiest way possible and become the strongest I had ever been. For starters, I was not sure if that would ever be possible for me, knowing I did not like to do much physical work and I would get tired and lose my breath just by walking up the stairs. However, I went ahead and tried this so-called incredible method of the law of attraction that everyone was raging over at the time. First, I manifested my goals through scripting, which is a manifestation method and it consisted of me writing in my journal, in extreme detail, how I wanted to feel and look, the sensation of feeling confident at the beach and being able to enjoy healthy foods, etc. Next, I detached by closing my notebook and not thinking about it to not become obsessed with the idea, which would have gone against the whole purpose of the law of attraction. I did not question the how, the why, the when, and I let go of all worry and desperation I had within me. I simply surrendered to the Universe. And of course, I actually went to the gym and would set mini-goals throughout the week for myself and essentially accomplish them. Slowly but surely, the span of about a year and a half, my weight increased up to 135 pounds. I am now able to live a life that I always dreamed of where I consistently hit the gym and set higher goals each time. I reward myself, I have an extremely healthy appetite, and I even feel confident enough to do bikini shoots for incredible companies! 

By using the law of attraction, I have been led to so many open doors and opportunities that I never would have imagined. Not only do I apply it to the fitness and health aspect of my life, but anything! I am utterly grateful for being knowledgeable about the law of attraction and everything that’s come along as a result of applying it to my life. The Universe has a beautiful and twisted way of giving us what we need, at the right time, in the right place, with the right people. All we have to do is ask, surrender, and eventually, our dreams will come true or the Universe may surprise us with something even better than what we wished for.

I am an FIU student pursuing two separate degrees: Journalism and Political Science, along with a Pre-Law Certificate. My passions are dancing, working out, and writing. New York City has my heart. My favorite movies are Legally Blonde, Sex and the City, and The Longest Ride. I am a huge advocate for self development, and becoming the best version of myself while inspiring others around me to do so as well.