This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Imagine you’re going through your day in the middle of class and all of a sudden you begin feeling very uneasy. A sudden shortness of breath, your head is spinning, and you feel a heavy pressure piercing through your chest. Your friend taps on your shoulder and asks if you’re okay. As you try to respond, it feels as though all the air has been whipped from your lungs, and you begin coughing and wheezing.

In the blink of an eye, you’re being rushed to the hospital with nurses, and doctors surrounding you trying to find out what it is that’s causing you to feel like this. After several tests, they soon discover that you have a severe lung disease and ask if you’ve had any history with smoking. You explain how you’ve never had cigarettes, but you do heavily use JUULs and go through pods on a daily basis.

What would you do from here? If only you had known this would be the outcome. You thought JUULs were supposed to be “healthier” than cigarettes, and you thought that no serious harm could possibly be done by just having a good time. The thing is, we only truly know what we’re being told—we don’t know what information is being withheld from us.

When we’re young, there’s a good amount of us that like to go out and have some fun every once in a while. The thing with JUULing is that, these flash-drive looking e-cigarettes have become a norm to see outside of parties and social functions. JUULing has taken an all time rise over the past few years and it has become especially common among younger generations. The typical millennial wants to fit in with the crowd regardless of what the circumstances may be. It’s sad to say, but these days it seems that we care more about being accepted than putting our own health first.

(Irish Times via https://www.irishtimes.com/polopoly_fs/1.3366708.1516786456!/image/image…)

Of course, no one can tell you how to live your life, it’s your decision. You’re entitled to live the type of life that you desire, but it’s important to think about all possible outcomes of something that may be potentially dangerous to your own health in the future. The crazy thing is, we don’t even know what the long-term effects of JUULing even are. Yet, there’s still people who go through multiple pods throughout the week without a single care in the world.

During the middle of 2019, we’ve seen an enormous rise in the cases that have been occurring because of JUULs. Deaths have apparently occurred due to JUUL related products and there are still individuals still not taking this seriously.  If you didn’t already know, or just in case you need to have it reiterated, JUULS HAVE NICOTINE! Nicotine is the SAME addictive chemical that can be found in basic cigarettes. This is the chemical that gives you that “high” feeling or effect.

Even though JUULs don’t necessarily have all the other toxins that are found in basic cigarettes. Nicotine still isn’t something that you should want to be putting into your body. The JUUL company claims their products aren’t targeted towards the younger audience, but with flavors like mango, cool cucumber, or crème brulee, who wouldn’t be able to resist? We may not realize this now, but JUUL will continue to make their profits expand as long as they have the youth in the palm of their hands.

(Truth Initiative via https://truthinitiative.org/sites/default/files/styles/image_caption_ori…)

Hi! My name is Sherneice Robin and I am currently a senior at Florida International University and I'm a part of the FIU Her Campus Staff Team! I'm pursuing a degree in PRAAC (Public Relations, Advertising, & Applied Communications) with an area of concentration in Business Communication. My passion in life has always been towards writing and I strive to inspire others with my words. Find your purpose and aspire to inspire.